Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Intermittant Entry / Lock System

First real problem with this great 05 car.

Over the last week or so the door handles have been reluctant to respond everytime to the auto door unlock and neither do the buttons lock the car everytime.

The key fob achieves the same result ie it sometimes unlocks the car and sometimes locks the car. (and I've used both my usual fob and the spare and, yes, the battreies are new!!).

On a couple of occasions I've had a "key not detected" warning and a start refusal which has been corrected by bringing the key fob next to the start button.

Lastly, I noticed this morning that the drivers door button initially failed to register a locked condition but a minute or two later the system worked correctly.

Sounds expensive (unless you know differently of course).

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Roger

Typically the need to put the fob up against the start button is a signifier that the Battery within it isn't in good condition.

Where did you buy the Battery from?

Do you have a multi-meter to test the voltage of them?

If not, and it was dealer done, then there's a chance they've been lying around a while.

Don't assume the worst just yet, try another Battery (even if it means buying from a local Maplin or motor factors) first.

You might also consider putting a Battery recharger on the Battery under the bonnet, and leaving it overnight to make sure it's fully charged.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. My every day fob had a dealer changed Battery 12 months ago and which I replaced with one from Halfrauds last week. My standby fob has not had a Battery change but I can certainly test both.

Now, revealing my ignorance. If I disconnect the vehicle Battery that'll shut down the systems but doesn't that make them difficult to restore? Alternatively, if I connect the charger in-situ won't that fry something?

I could use a trickle charger; would that be better?

Thanks again

A good Battery charger will only put as much charge into the Battery as its voltage and state dictates.

I'd not disconnect it, but just put the leads on and connect the charger to the mains.

Some, like the Ring ones, allow you to select Ah capacity or max Amperage to be used - just make sure you select the right one or 4A max.

Connect leads as per user manual (+ve 1st, -ve 2nd I think) before or after turning on the charger and setting it for the right output.

If you do decide to disconnect the Battery, then you may need the radio code and will have to do the window/sunroof reset procedures.

If the batteries in your fob are spot on, then it could be something or it could be one of those weird things that these types of cars start exhibiting when the main Battery is starting to show signs of failing.

Hopefully it's the fob(s), but if not, then the Battery - both of which are preferable and cheaper to put right than one of the various "brains" the car has for this, that, and the other.

Bit of feedback.

Main Battery on charge this morning; started at around 5v and over two hours reduced to just over zero. Not much wrong there I think.

Tested fob Battery at just over 3v so that looks OK as well. One thing I observed today was that (a) if the fob is held above the car waistline the handle unlock seems to work better and (B) fob and handle buttons need to be operated slowly and deliberately.

Still not really right but getting used to it. Wonder if it'll be found on the service at end of month!!

Thanks for your help

this happened to me about 6 months back, so by any chance are you parked by any electricial sub station ? as every time i parked this one by my grandaughters which was about 12 feet away my locks played up, just check to see if there any around where your parked

No such luck Don but thanks for the suggestion. No, I'm parking where I've always parked and I'm not aware of any new services being installed in the vicinity. It did happen quite suddenly; one day fine and the next something not quite right. Cest le vie.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links