Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220D 09 Steering Problem

Hello

We bought a 220d 10 months ago and have persistently found that the steering often 'kicks' left or right when ever you go over any imperfection in the road, even white lines. Brakes in a straight line etc but definitely get this regular wheel twisting more often as you are off the power say approaching a set of lights. This can mean the car will sometimes head off into the on coming lane!

Had it back to the garage twice, initially they replaced a front wheel for abnormal wear but second time they said couldn't find anything wrong and yet it keeps doing it. Been out with an engineer who said he felt it drives like other 220s 'very light and responsive'.

By comparison our VW touran drives the same roads without a twitch.

Is the 'light, responsive' (twitchy) steering what everyone experiences? Should I take it back again and if so should I take it to a different garage?

Thanks for your thoughts/experience.

My 56 220d is also quite twitchy. There is one road by me, that if you don't have a solid grip on the wheel, you would be pitched off the road almost instantly. Granted the road does have a lot of potholes, but it still seems a bit extreme. Picks up a lot of imperfections in the road surface. I have always put it down to my sports model 8" wide 18" wheels.

Right went to WIM today and they did not do anything because the alignment and steering geometry came up as 'immaculate'.

I have pretty new tyres so I am going to rule that out too.

I think it might be the design of the suspension or maybe the electric power steering itself. Either way I think it's normal. I've got a habit of holding the steering wheel very lightly which has changed ever since I've had this car. It does get a bit annoying but I guess I am not used to it.

118lph0.jpg

What is so different about those tyres brands ? Has it really got rid of the problem?

- on the verge of selling it because its so annoying/dangerous (and would have if lexus hasn't been so tight and only offered 8k for a car I bought from them 10 months ago for 12.5k)

What is so different about those tyres brands ? Has it really got rid of the problem?

- on the verge of selling it because its so annoying/dangerous (and would have if lexus hasn't been so tight and only offered 8k for a car I bought from them 10 months ago for 12.5k)

Just over 12months ago and as a new member on this forum, I experienced exactly the same as you. I had covered less than 500 miles in the car (a 220d) but, I had gone over the one month exchange period by one week but, they would only offer me the same sort of figures that you mentioned in your post!

When i put on my winter tyres my problem was solved, i could drive without the car pulling all over the road with every road inperfection. I new then it was due to the Bridgestone tyres so when i replaced my summer tyres later that year i bought another brand - Continental and like my winter tyres these are fine.

Some cars are very sensitive to tyre choice and pressure. Just drive a BMW Z3 if you think your Lexus is twitchy.

I have the same problem under braking. The car squirms and fights as the tyres want to do their own thing. The car is fitted with Dunlop's and I will definitely move to something else when the time comes. I've always had good results with Goodyear F1 and Continental tyres, so I will go for those.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone has mentioned this, I believe, but Bridgestone Potenza tyres are notorious for this - the main reasons why most tyre depots were getting them in at good rates! At the higher price they wouldn't sell, as informed buyers new they tramlined more than the competition.

Never experienced this problem on either my Bridgestone Turanza's or current set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 2's. Our 2007 IS250 has always run on Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and they have been fine as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links