Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk 4 Sat Nav Woes - Sorted!

Hope I am not counting my chickens too soon here!

Those that I bored with my earlier posts will be pleased to hear that my SatNav problems are no more.

The problem was the cd drive unit in the boot which had suffered from damp due to a dodgy boot seal and not a faulty antenna as was initially thought by process of ilimination.

Replaced the cd drive with a salvaged unit, complete with latest satnav cd (version 3, 2008 I believe) which was inside the unit.

Plenty learnt along the way regarding wiring route for GPS antenna and actual location of antenna (which is behind the centre console screen and not on the underside of the rear shelf above the boot).

I now have an almost problem free car for the time being, just needing front suspension bushes to cure a slight nearside knock, which I will get sorted in the new year.

My final job will be getting it LPG's and at present it seems that Profess and Leeds LPG are best value even when you factor in fuel costs to get there. I have not been able to get a better quote than £1900+VAT from any installers in the south of England.

Those that I bored with my earlier posts will be pleased to hear that my SatNav problems are no more.

The problem was the cd drive unit in the boot which had suffered from damp due to a dodgy boot seal and not a faulty antenna as was initially thought by process of ilimination.

Replaced the cd drive with a salvaged unit, complete with latest satnav cd (version 3, 2008 I believe) which was inside the unit.

Plenty learnt along the way regarding wiring route for GPS antenna and actual location of antenna (which is behind the centre console screen and not on the underside of the rear shelf above the boot).

I now have an almost problem free car for the time being, just needing front suspension bushes to cure a slight nearside knock, which I will get sorted in the new year.

My final job will be getting it LPG's and at present it seems that Profess and Leeds LPG are best value even when you factor in fuel costs to get there. I have not been able to get a better quote than £1900+VAT from any installers in the south of England.

Let the party commence.

Profess want £999 to convert today according to their website and if your registered disabled there is no VAT to pay..

When you have a minute could you post a couple of screen shots of the Sat Nav screen for comparison?

Mike

Let the party commence.

Profess want £999 to convert today according to their website and if your registered disabled there is no VAT to pay..

When you have a minute could you post a couple of screen shots of the Sat Nav screen for comparison?

Mike

Kieth

There is a bit of difference in the systems - go for a premium system not a cheap one (although it is your cash) and fit FLASH lube to protect your valves - LPG burns hot and valve damage is not unknown - two of my pals can testify to this.

Good luck - I am sure you can negotiate a good deal in the current climate.

Bren

Let the party commence.

Mike

Kieth

There is a bit of difference in the systems - go for a premium system not a cheap one (although it is your cash) and fit FLASH lube to protect your valves - LPG burns hot and valve damage is not unknown - two of my pals can testify to this.

Bren

In 16 years and 9 cars I have never ever had a valve seat burning out. The valve seats are hardened to take NON leaded petrol and can easily take the temperature that LPG burns out (I will check to see what the difference is) If however you like wasting money then get a lube system fitted.

The systems fitted by Profess are brilliant but if you think you are going to get more by paying more then think again.]The most important thing is the competence of the engineers that fit it.

The more important thing with any LPG system is the competence of the engineers to fit the system properly 1st time every time.

These systems have been fitted for years out in Europe and all the engineers at Profess have been fitting them for many years out in European Profess sites.

Mike

Mike

Let the party commence.

Mike

Kieth

Bren

There is absolutely no argument for having a Flash Lube system fitted. The valve seats are already hardened for Non Leaded petrol. If your pals cars had valve seat problems then their cars already had problems before the LPG systems were fitted.

As for the cost of any system more importantly is that whoever you choose can fit the system properly 1st time every time. Paying more for the system does not mean you get a better system.

Mike

Wow - Profess price now £999 - this is very good - i have noticed the price gradually coming down over the months

no doubt leeds lpg will follow

Mike your post is helpful - thanks

Your welcome Mike

Let the party commence.

Mike

Kieth

Bren

There is absolutely no argument for having a Flash Lube system fitted. The valve seats are already hardened for Non Leaded petrol. If your pals cars had valve seat problems then their cars already had problems before the LPG systems were fitted.

As for the cost of any system more importantly is that whoever you choose can fit the system properly 1st time every time. Paying more for the system does not mean you get a better system.

Mike

Interesting - the first problem was a pal with a 400 - I think it was a single point system and a long time ago - cost £5K to fix. The second was a pal with 430 that had done 90K on LPG - compression loss because of burnt valve seats (I was told) cost him £2.5K for a head rebuild. The repairers advised a FLASH lube system because they had seen these problems before so I put one on as well - it is not that expensive to install and run.

Bren

Let the party commence.

Mike

Kieth

Bren

Mike

Interesting - the first problem was a pal with a 400 - I think it was a single point system and a long time ago - cost £5K to fix. The second was a pal with 430 that had done 90K on LPG - compression loss because of burnt valve seats (I was told) cost him £2.5K for a head rebuild. The repairers advised a FLASH lube system because they had seen these problems before so I put one on as well - it is not that expensive to install and run.

Bren

With the systems out there today Flash Lube is not needed and Single point systems are a thing of the past. Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

I am no LPG expert and find the different prices quoted a bit misleading and personally I would generally go for the best I can afford which at Profess prices would be their most expensive system.

Bearing in mind what has been said about installation quality, I now understand that paying a higher price does not necessarily guarantee a better quality system.

Can I ask those that have had the conversion done, If you were considering a conversion now based on what you have learnt from the conversion process and a period of running on gas what system would you go for?

Thanks chaps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links