Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres \ Wheels

Anyone looked into winter tyres for the IS-F

I've had a look but I can't see to find anywhere which does a matching tread pattern front to rear.

In theory they exist but it seems harder in practice to actually find the tyres.

Loads of companies do winter tyres, and loads will be in the right size (for example, 225/40 18). I don't understand what you mean about "matching tread pattern front to rear" ?? You just go buy 4 winter tyres, in the correct size and weight handling, and have them fitted to your wheels (or a second set of wheels if you buy some)

The issue gents is finding a full set that will fit the IS-F.

Seems you can either get rear or fronts but I can't find anywhere which can offer the same tyre front and rear. I'm not a fan of running mixed tyres in dry weather let alone in the wet.

Spoken to my local lexus dealer and they've said that they can't get a matched set - they could offer two tyres from Pirreli but they aren't the same tread pattern front and rear.

Currently it looks like what people are saying is correct. Most of the websites can't offer a matched brand and tread pattern together. The best you can get is Michelin Pilot Alpin with PA4 on the front and PA3 on the rear. One option you have is to buy a set of 18" rims (or 17" if possible as the price falls massively of the tyre - but will they fit over the brake setup?) and get a set of tyres for them - then you just swap them over in winter and spring - nice and easy!

Yes the mixed Michelin option was the closest one I could find in the sizes the IS-F needs.

Thought about putting different wheels on but my concern is as you've said they won't clear the Brembos - even with the 19"s on it's not eactly spacious in there.

I know it doesn't help you now but for these larger tyre sizes then looking early on in the year (even in the summer!!) is the only way to get a matching set as the tyre makers often only make one production run each year of certain sizes and they then run out of them until them make a new batch months down the line. This used to happen with the R17s a few years back when the winter tyres on that rim size was much less popular. Each year it seems the supply is getting better as more and more people in places like the UK realise how good they are in the winter.

I have staggered wheels on my BMW (8J front / 9J rear) and bought a set of parallel alloys for winter.

Saves swapping tyres over every time. Also when you get some warm spells you can just swap them back to the summer wheels.

You'll find if temps go above 10ºC the winter tyres are not as effective and start wearing very quick.

IS-F has 225/40/19 on the front and 255/35/19 on the rear.

I've tried all the usual suspects, blackcircle, mytyres, camskill etc

Getting a second set of alloys would be an option but the IS-F has a fairly chunky set of stoppers on it so my concern with moving to an alternative wheel size is will they clear the brakes and will a different size screw up the handling etc.

The handling will be different anyway. Are you planning on sticking 255 winters on the rear? You might want to opt for a narrower tyre if you are sourcing a winter set of alloys.

Any Lexus dealer should know what size/type wheel will clear the brakes I imagine.

I've noticed a handling difference just from switching from the 45 sidewall tyres to the 50's on my winter tyres. I'm guessing that sidewall stiffness is different between the two sets of tyres (different brands), and that will be contributing also. It's definitely softer than the summer tyres, and a tiny bit more "roll" in it when cornering at speed (the banked S bend slip road from the M1! onto the M25 is a perfect test for this. Great bit of road - when it's empty!)

IS-F has 225/40/19 on the front and 255/35/19 on the rear.

I've tried all the usual suspects, blackcircle, mytyres, camskill etc

Getting a second set of alloys would be an option but the IS-F has a fairly chunky set of stoppers on it so my concern with moving to an alternative wheel size is will they clear the brakes and will a different size screw up the handling etc.

Don't forget that even with winter tyres, the ISF is entirely useless with any significant depth of SNOW because its low ground clearance just quickly builds up a drift ahead of you which can break the expensive front-bumper assembly as well as stopping you from moving!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links