Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Start By Remote

There are loads of options out there to be able to do this (eBay is one of them) or any car security installation company. However, it will be a seperate remote device from your current car remote control. I spent many years in Ottawa where it gets as cold as minus 30 !!! and everyone I knew that had a decent car could do this with their cars. Production cars over there come out of the factory with this option fitted.

There is even a Iphone app for Viper car security systems which you can turn on the cars engine and control the heater settings from you Iphone !!!!

Not sure how much you would have to satisfy your car insurance company if you have such a device fitted...I assume that it would start the car, but if someone smashed the window and climbed into the car, they would not be able to drive off without the actual key in the ignition !!

Rx450h in the USA can be started by remote fob, does any one know how software on uk model can be turned on. sootysdl

I'm sure there is some looney lefty law over here, or some daft petition by the tree hugging brigade that will jump up and down and say "It's bad for the environment and it will kill all the plankton in the seas and world will stop spinning on it's axis if you let your engine run without being in the car"

I believe there is a nanny law over here that states you cannot leave your car unattended with the engine running. I don't agree with any of the above crap and if I want to start my car remotely to warm it up on cold winter mornings I should be afforded that option.

The Ed

Rx450h in the USA can be started by remote fob, does any one know how software on uk model can be turned on. sootysdl

I'm sure there is some looney lefty law over here, or some daft petition by the tree hugging brigade that will jump up and down and say "It's bad for the environment and it will kill all the plankton in the seas and world will stop spinning on it's axis if you let your engine run without being in the car"

I believe there is a nanny law over here that states you cannot leave your car unattended with the engine running. I don't agree with any of the above crap and if I want to start my car remotely to warm it up on cold winter mornings I should be afforded that option.

The Ed

You cannot leave it with the engine running on the highway but in your drive possibly. However if your car is stolen whilst standing with the engine running, your insurer might well refuse to pay out.

The Ed

You cannot leave it with the engine running on the highway but in your drive possibly. However if your car is stolen whilst standing with the engine running, your insurer might well refuse to pay out.

Don't think there is anything in most policies about engine running? The usual criteria is car must be locked and keys not in the ignition, which using a remote start device would satisfy both conditions.

If in doubt, sue the b*stards and they will pay up !!

The Ed

Don't think there is anything in most policies about engine running? The usual criteria is car must be locked and keys not in the ignition, which using a remote start device would satisfy both conditions.

If in doubt, sue the b*stards and they will pay up !!

Don't be so optimistic. The other point that they will surely rely upon is that it is a change to the standard specification of a vehicle which negates the insurance policy totally.

In 2000, I bought a new top of the range Seat Alhambra. The car was part of the first batch imported into the UK and had some extras that were not part of the UK spec. One of them was a remote heating (not starting) facility.

It had an additional "system", supported by its own Battery, that switched the heating and ventilation on and also warmed the engine up. It did not switch the (diesel) engine on. However, I never had to scrape the car on frosty mornings and got into a nice warm car, with the engine already at normal running temperature. All I had to do, was to remember to set the time at which I wanted the heating to start the night before, using the car's clock to do so. If I forgot to set it, I could manually start it by pressing a dedicated button on the clock. There was no dedicated button on the remote.

Not sure how the system worked, never looked into it. All I can think of is that it heated the coolant.

I am not sure whether this help, but I just wanted to point out that there may be alternatives to remote starting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links