Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Wear Warning Light

Had my '98 LS 400 for around 5 months now, all that time, the brake wear warning strip on the dash has been active, the previous owner, who I've known for years personally, and trust, informed me that the front pads had been replaced a few weeks prior to me buying the car, the warning light came on shortly after that, he told me that the rear pads were OK, the mechanic having told him so, in the event, fed-up being distracted by a warning light continually, I got the rear pads changed last week, turned-out they were not even down to the warning sensor, -but had them changed anyway, warning light still on, any suggestions anyone?thanks.

There ia a pad wear sensor on the front nearside inner pad and they are quite delicate pieces which are easily damaged when transferring them to new pads, the 2 wires simply break off the sensor head.

Easiest way to check is have a look for broken wires and if this is the case remove the remaining wire and then strip back the insulation, join them together and insulate the joint,if the warning light then goes off that was your problem.

You now have a choice of either leaving things like that and visually checking the pad wear regularly or buying a new sensor from Lexus at around £50.00.

Wish I could take the bulb out!

I watched the mechanic change the rear pads, he removed the old pads, and sensor wires, like he was defusing a bomb, showed me them, explained about the wear not yet down to the sensor-tab, puzzled at brake-wear light still coming on, took them back off, checked the wires again, re-assembled, lights still on, what a frigging pain.

Had a problem with my MK4 a few weeks ago

Coming home from work I braked coming up to a roundabout and the brake warning light came on and stayed on.

The next morning when I turned on the ignition the light was off but came on as soon as I touched the brake pedal and remained on.

Thinking I may have had a worn pad I jacked the car up and checked all the pads and they were all OK

Just as an after thought I got someone to press the brake pedal whilst I stood at the rear of the car and there was the problem, the off side brake light bulb was off

Bulb replaced - problem sorted

Hope this may be of some help to you

My light came on, looked at rears and there was loads of meat on them.

Looked at the wire and it was cut in half.

Resoldered the wire temporarily until the pads wear down to change.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links