Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chipping The Soarer V8

Euee

anything is possible

but just fitting a chip would be pointless

look at the fundamental basics that need doing ........

sort the induction of nice cold air

sort the exhaust

then look at things like a chip, the chip will bring out the hidden benifits of the 2 mods mentioned

• 1 month later...

As far as I know it isn't possible to obtain the chip or the expertise to fit it in this country at least. It would only be possibly in Japan or Australia maybe. ECU modding is an area where the Soarer is behind the rest of the pack. If you have money to burn consider the supercharger option (at great expense, est. 3-4k including all costs at a guess) but last poster is right do the intake and exhaust first at the very least to gain 20-30 bhp.

• 2 months later...

anybody who has a soarer/sc400 or has intentions to own a soarer ,should visit planet soarer , as years of experience is available to all us owners given by people who have taken the time and trouble to get the maximum possible performance out of there vehicals, and passed the mods on to us , also the australian soarer owners club is a source of invaluble advice and also replacement parts,there is a particular one on planet soarer regarding getting maximum air into the engine , look for bfi

soarer already has its own type of forced induction... a tube from the front runs up into the airbix of my car.. and is standard.

Yeah terrible aint it! I'm modding the airbox with a cold air scoop in couple weeks. The stock intake is the only thing holding this car back from 300 horses :ohmy:

• 1 month later...

Looking through some older posts...sorry if I'm raking up old news, but I was interested in this-

So can the V8 be taken up to 300bhp easily with decat and air intake mods?

I liked my TT because it was SO fast when I needed it, but I would like to try a V8- what is the accelleration like from a standing start compared to a TT?

funny enough i tried one last week... umm it that kick in the back you would seriously miss... but it got there pretty rapidly and smoothly!

I am considering a v8 next for comforts but also thinking of induction, stright through exhaust and unichip.

The V8 is actually faster off the line than the TT (while the turbos spool up), but only to around 20MPH probably. Then the TT definately has it, up to around 80MPH, where the V8 is pretty equal onwards.

You can probably get 20Bhp ish from decent exhaust/intake mods. First thing is get rid of the standard rubbish intake!

I thought I had already, but as I spent ages trying usernames/passwords, I assume I actually hadn't!!

Chipping is a big problem in the V8 because the ECU contols the gearbox (OK don't get smug about your manual!) aswell. AFAIK the only real option at the moment is Harry Lemmens' ECU, which he has completely reprogrammed (the original ECU with a small piggyback). It can be set to standard mode, or upgraded mode, with new mapping and higher rev limit (8000).

It will also be upgradeable, so eventually you could hook it up to the net and downlaod his new maps!

Basically you have to send yours off to him and he will fit the new module and send it back. I think it cost around a grand + insured del to AUS and back!

thanks for pointing that our carlos! Did not realise about the auto box.

so.. here is a question as you are a v8 man yourself... what is the best way to get 300bhp outta a v8 soarer then?

Without supercharging it?

Turbos? :P

Not really into tuning myself, so I can't tell you much more (until I can afford a supercharger!). I don't think ther is much else really.

You can't really do turbos easily either....they don't fit very well!

Have a look here.....if yu want to really get into it....http://www.lextreme.com/

With a decent catless free flow exhaust, modified headers, skimming, and a BFI intake it has been argued that 300 is achievable, possible slightly more. With Harry's ECU mod (still WIP) and a shift kit (also avail from Oz) I don't see why 310-320 shouldn't be achievable.

The problem is really getting the tuning parts to this country. The BFI is a DIY job. Exhaust system has to be custom for the V8, due to its dual pipe system. Importing from Japan isn't really an option and I'm told Blitz don't cater for the V8 anymore. The TT is the one if you want to tune it up.

Basically if you want an 11 second V8 over the qtr stretch, you need to design and install your own supercharger and / or move to Australia where they have the expertise and the parts (and the desire to modify).

• 3 months later...

Modified headers, available from www.rushimports.com.au

Headers are the pipes that remove the exhaust gases direct from the engine, the first pipes that form the exhaust. These modified headers are bigger and allow a smoother flow for better performance and a sweeter note.

Contact Neil Griffiths at that site, he owns the company and can sell to the UK, I've ordered a set myself and waiting delivery. I can give you a contact to fit them.

The headers should be good for up to 20 bhp and an engine noise to die for!

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links