Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A Little Bit Of Audio Help Please

A short time ago I was toying with the idea of copying music files in mp3 format to some cd/dvd's for use in the ML system in my car and, I received some valuable help from some of you.

However, I have now had some further thoughts on the audio setup in my 06 IS250 and, to this end I have ordered the bit and pieces as discussed in this thread :-

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70947&st=0

The question that I now have for you experts out there is, do I buy myself an iPod, an MP3 player or, do I just make more use of my Iphone 4s (32gb)

From my previous thread/posts you will have gathered that I am no technowotsit and only advance my skills/learning courtesy of the kind help offered by fellow members. Am I correct in thinking that an MP3 player is merely a very basic unit that plays MP3 files/music, that an iPod is a rather more advanced version of an MP3 player and, that an Iphone is possibly a combination of the two. or am I way off the mark?

I expect my bits will turn up next week and so I am looking forward to getting it all sorted, once I am clear in my mind of the next step to take.

Many thanks in advance of any help.

I'm in the same boat with these things, I would send a PM to Geoffers who will know the answer I suspect.

There was a recent post that used Bluetooth to wirelessly connect an Iphone to the in car system via the aux in socket located in the centre armrest.

Geoff, what you surmise is pretty much correct.

It seems you have an Iphone 4S now, so why not link that first as your Mp3 device(as well as your phone!) You may well find you don't need an iPod at all. 32Gb of Mp3 files is going to be a lot of music by any measure. To this you can delete and add to your hearts content within the confines of 32Gb.

This has to be your easiest route into use of Mp3 files as ther is no extra expense.... You have the device now in the Iphone.

It seems you have an iPhone 4S now, so why not link that first as your Mp3 device(as well as your phone!) You may well find you don't need an iPod at all. 32Gb of Mp3 files is going to be a lot of music by any measure. To this you can delete and add to your hearts content within the confines of 32Gb.

This has to be your easiest route into use of Mp3 files as ther is no extra expense.... You have the device now in the iPhone.

That is what I'd hoped the outcome would be, thanks normski. I will get some music onto my phone tomorrow and the try to get it all set up. Thanks again.

It seems you have an iPhone 4S now, so why not link that first as your Mp3 device(as well as your phone!) You may well find you don't need an iPod at all. 32Gb of Mp3 files is going to be a lot of music by any measure. To this you can delete and add to your hearts content within the confines of 32Gb.

This has to be your easiest route into use of Mp3 files as ther is no extra expense.... You have the device now in the iPhone.

That is what I'd hoped the outcome would be, thanks normski. I will get some music onto my phone tomorrow and the try to get it all set up. Thanks again.

Oops I've boobed...............again. My phone is an Iphone 3GS not a 4, hopefully this won't make too much difference.

Hopefully someone will spot this and be able to help me. i have put a number of my CD's into iTunes on my computer but am now wondering how I get them onto my Iphone.

If anyone is able to help, I will be extremely grateful. Thank you.

I think you just link your Iphone up to iTunes on the puter, much the same as you would an iPod. Then you can drag and drop your files onto the Iphone I presume.

However, my son has had the 3 and 4s so I will ask him tomorrow at work.

Not this is much use to you...but he was in the car with me last week and linked his phone up to my system (via the USB port) and got everything up on the screen too!! Cheeky monkey! Guess that is where the facelift variant has been improved.

I think you just link your iPhone up to iTunes on the puter, much the same as you would an iPod. Then you can drag and drop your files onto the iPhone I presume.

However, my son has had the 3 and 4s so I will ask him tomorrow at work.

Not this is much use to you...but he was in the car with me last week and linked his phone up to my system and got everything up on the screen too!! Cheeky monkey! Guess that is where the facelift variant has been improved.

If you can come up with something tomorrow normski that would be really good. I have opened up iTunes and I have also synced my phone but at this moment cannot see how to get the files across. Thanks for trying to help.

Right Geoff, try this.

Older version of Itunes

Open itunes on your pc. Plug in your Iphone and wait a few seconds while it syncs itself to itunes.

It should appear on the left hand side where you see Library, Store, Shared, Genius, Playlists. It will probably appear as Geoffs Iphone, or whatever you called it. At this point point at your device and check its Sync settings. Uncheck the box which automatically syncs entire library of music…or you will be trying to put say 110Gb onto 32Gb storage space.

I keep all my stuff as playlists. So you just click on the chosen playlist and drag it(keeping the mouse button held down) up to your device (Geoffs phone) and release the mouse button. It will then be loaded onto your phone.

Newer Version of Itunes (11.0.1.12)

Would you believe it…I open bloody Itunes and it upgrades to a newer version that looks completely different. Just when you get to know something…why why why?

Have to grab Mat for input here as he has this on his pc at home.

Open itunes on your pc. Plug in your Iphone and wait a few seconds while it syncs itself to itunes.

It should appear at the top of your itunes page where it says phone. Click on the tab that says Iphone you will then see a range of tabs at the top of the screen that say apps, photos, contacts, music etc. Click the music tab you will have two options that say sync all music or sync selected music, check the sync selected music box. This will now give you the option to select which albums, songs, artists or playlists you want to sync. Once you have chosen what you want to sync click the sync button at the bottom right of the screen this will now sync your items to your Iphone, when this has finished eject the Iphone and you should have the music on there.

Right Geoff, try this.

Older version of Itunes

Open itunes on your pc. Plug in your iphone and wait a few seconds while it syncs itself to itunes.

It should appear on the left hand side where you see Library, Store, Shared, Genius, Playlists. It will probably appear as Geoffs Iphone, or whatever you called it. At this point point at your device and check its Sync settings. Uncheck the box which automatically syncs entire library of music…or you will be trying to put say 110Gb onto 32Gb storage space.

I keep all my stuff as playlists. So you just click on the chosen playlist and drag it(keeping the mouse button held down) up to your device (Geoffs phone) and release the mouse button. It will then be loaded onto your phone.

Newer Version of Itunes (11.0.1.12)

Would you believe it…I open bloody Itunes and it upgrades to a newer version that looks completely different. Just when you get to know something…why why why?

Have to grab Mat for input here as he has this on his pc at home.

Open itunes on your pc. Plug in your iphone and wait a few seconds while it syncs itself to itunes.

It should appear at the top of your itunes page where it says phone. Click on the tab that says iphone you will then see a range of tabs at the top of the screen that say apps, photos, contacts, music etc. Click the music tab you will have two options that say sync all music or sync selected music, check the sync selected music box. This will now give you the option to select which albums, songs, artists or playlists you want to sync. Once you have chosen what you want to sync click the sync button at the bottom right of the screen this will now sync your items to your iphone, when this has finished eject the iphone and you should have the music on there.

Brilliant!!! Absolutely Perfick, everything worked first time, music is now on my phone, thank so much for your efforts to put me right.

All I need to do now is pop outside and get it all set up to see if it all comes though the ML system OK.

Will report back shortly. Thanks again for being so helpful.

Jolly good, glad it all worked for you.

Have run into a little problem with the transfer of music to my Iphone. I have successfully negotiated the transfer of 4 albums from my PC to my Iphone, thanks to the help provided by normski2 but, a short while ago I tried to transfer 3 more albums but unfortunately, instead of adding the new albums to those already on the phone, the operation simply overwrote those that I had transferred earlier and so, instead of having 7 albums I ended up with only the second batch of 3 albums.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong please?

Sounds like you are using auto sync to put the albums on.

On your ITunes (PC) does it still have all 7 albums?

Hello Ray, thanks for coming in on this. Yes. all 7 albums are still in iTunes on my PC.

I open up the page where my albums are stored and they are all listed and so I just put a tick against the ones that I now want to transfer and leave the ones that I have already transfered, blank. I then press the 'sync' button in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

I'll nab Mat again tomorrow in the office! He's got footie training tonight. May be that you have not checked(ticked) the boxes of the albums to be added to your Iphone. Thereby it thinks you no longer want any that are not checked. Did you check the box option to ' manually manage syncing of music' ?

It can be a right ball ache when these things trip you up eh?

I'll nab Mat again tomorrow in the office! He's got footie training tonight. May be that you have not checked(ticked) the boxes of the albums to be added to your IPhone. Thereby it thinks you no longer want any that are not checked. Did you check the box option to ' manually manage syncing of music' ?

It can be a right ball ache when these things trip you up eh?

The thought did cross my mind that I should tick all of the boxes of the albums that I want on the phone but then I thought that that would be ridiculous really.

I think that you may be nearer the solution when you say 'check the option to 'manually manage syncing of music' I must be honest and admit to not spotting that option. I will go and have a look now. Thanks.

Edit: Have just been into iTunes Preferences and went into 'Devices' and there is an option to "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" so I assume that this will be the same as 'manually managing the syncing of music' so I will give it a go.

Right then folks, here is my update as promised. have now completed the modification as demonstrated in the following thread :-

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70947&st=15

The result is 'Absolutely first class' The quality of the sound is brilliant, no loss of quality whatsoever and no interference.

I played tracks from my Iphone, used the steering wheel volume controls, then I got my wife to call me and the incoming call overrode the music and I answered the call with the steering wheel telphone button and everything was fine. When I hung up, the music kicked back in. I then made a call to my wife using the normal touch-screen mode and once again this overrode the music and output the phone-ringing tone, she answered, I then hung up using the steering wheel control again and wallah, the music kicks in again.

The only thing that I haven't tried is the voice activated call system. I will give that a go over the next couple of days.

All in all I am extremely pleased with this mod.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links