Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2002/02 Is 300 Auto Cambelt Change Advice

SachinC

Hi,

I have a 2002/02 41k IS 300 Auto that has full main agent history all the way.

Just realised it has gone past 10years old and obviously cambelt needs to be done every 100k or 10yrs whichever is sooner.

I have been reliably informed, the IS 300 is better than the IS 200 engine, as the latter requires idler / tensioner replacement whilst the IS 300 shares the same lump as the GS 300 which needs just a belt.

Is the above correct guys? Which dealer do you recommend in the SE from experience?

Cheers.

I had mine done last year when i bought the car and was advised by the Lexus dealer the belt only needed doing as the idler and tensioner on the IS300/GS300 engines are more robust and can handle more miles but i thought it wont cost me a lot to just add the idler and tensioner to it and have all done in one go. they confirmed my water pump was ok so i didnt do it and also added drive/serpentine belt change to it aswell. cost £588 all in but will take me to 200K miles or another 10yrs if i decide to keep it that long.. so my advise will be do idler. tensior and drive belt and have them inspect the water pump if it needs one then throw that in too for peace of mind. yes cambelt service is not cheap but you only have to do it every 10 yrs or 100K so not too bad. :)

Hi sachinC , I have 52 plate is300 , which is similar as ur , my just done 65k , my due for a big service in march , which include cam belt and water pump also , but I'm not gonna tell u how much I got quote for, don't want to scare you :) but I did tell them what is exactly I want them to do , which a lot !!! .

Yeh russell at Toyotec did my spark plugs aswell 66 mile drive each way but his quote was cheaper than Lexus quoted me if i factored in fuel cost aswell. so went with him and enjoyed the blast back home.

What's a drive/serpentine belt???

Thanks.

The belts at the front of your engine bay. A/C belt, power steering belt, alternator belt are your serpentine/drive belts. I think this is an American term. We call them Auxillary belts or just belts lol :)

Picked my car up this morning out of the main agents. Cambelt done, engineer went through car FOC. Free wash / vac / shiny stuff around the tyres. Drives the business. Those IS 300's look like an old bus being a 2002, but with 41k on the clock with 11 main dealer stamps in the book, the car drives the b*llocks. Car is in my friend's bodyshop, having front and rear bumpers painted in Platinum Ice. Wheels are going to the refurbishers this Sat - machine polished and sprayed internals in met silver.

Apart from the water in the n/s/f headlamp that may need some drying out / sealant, I think the car will look the bizz....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links