Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Smell That *isn't* Musty - And Almost Knocked Me Out...

kweilo

I hope goes well for you, I've never done the job so I can't advise you unfortunately but one of these boyos might be easier to get in to cut the pipes rather than trying to get a hacksaw in there. Let us know how you get on and best of luck!

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools-storage-workwear/handtools/plumbing-tools/-brand-B%5Cu0026Q/-producttype-pipe_cutters/B-and-Q-Mini-Tube-Cutter-11247827

Hi Neil

Lost my IS in a recent flood but looking to get another one as others out there cant match it - the problem you are having is stemming from the Air Con

I had the exact same problem in a Vauxhall i had - smells bit like sweatty socks mixed with vinegar (not that i have every mixed the two) - after having the air con on for a bit then leaving it for a while, the moisture on the unit creates mould spores that causes the smell - its a common problem with cars that have air con inside the cabin (dont know if the IS does though) and this may be linked to your problem with the matrix you have.

I think although not sure as it was a long time ago now - i figured the problem out by switching the air con on - unit done its biz and the smell went away (think it must have heated or cooler a bit - when i turned it off it came back. There is a cleaning solution available to clean the pipes where this forms - do a search on the web - think its only a fiver so mat be a good option first before shelling loads of money out on this.

To drive it, there's 2 pipes that go from the engine inside the car to the matrix, just join these together to bypass the matrix andkeep the coolant system sealed.

Go to Rockauto.com-new heater core $65.

Managed to get me and the car to collect this...

IMG_20130201_111705_m.jpg

Not bad for £35!

The chap said 'oh yeah, you'll need the dash off, but if you get stuck, bring it and the car here and we'll do it together' - said he'd tested it as well before removing so swore it'd all be fine.

Going to be a fun Saturday ;)

hope you can share the walk-through how you get it install :innocent:

all the best :zee:

I'm going to follow the earlier guide and just try for doing the matrix without the dash coming apart - not replacing the whole kit. But yeah, I'll take some piccies along the way :)

Man, heck of a day to be doing this - icy winds a blowin' in Essex...

Still, the thing is done.

Guide / pictures etc to follow - I need to have a word with whoever specified the world's thinest aluminium and barely structurally sound design for that heater matrix...

Nice to have (a) NO SMELL and (B) a whole lotta heat !

:D

Coolant is dropping slightly - was to the MAX mark yesterday, did a run to Swindon and I've lost 20mm off the MAX mark.

Something to be worried about?

This isn't the first run I've had, so I would've thought any air blockages would've cleared by now.

Can't smell coolant thought, so I'm surprised I've still got a leak (apparently!).

Yes same here with my LS had to keep topping up very small amounts for a few weeks after a coolant change then suddenly all stabilised.

Congratulations on a good job, there is no better satisfaction then a good DIY job.

Post the pictures up when you get the chance or if you want to email them to me I'll put together a tutorial.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links