Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Rx300

Hello all

We are thinking of buying my wife an RX300 they seem to be (so I have heard) very good on reliabiliy and comfort which is a priority for us as we are fed up with crappy unreliable diesel cars! We dont mind paying for the fuel as long as they are reliable. Have recently had an 2008 3 series diesel where the cam chain snapped costing £3000 for a recon engine! and then a honda civic diesel where the clutch and flywheel went at 47000 miles costing £1000. So we have had it with diesel motors!

Are looking to spend upto about £7500 on an RX300 and it seems you can get a late 2004 one for any where between £6500 and £7500.

Any advice on what to look for when test driving it and looking over it? I am going to look at one tomorrow morning at a local dealer. Also are they as bullet proof as I have been LED to believe.

Cheers

Steve

I bought an RX 300 on a 54 plate and changed @ 05 for the SEL with air supension. I have done 78,000 miles in this same car and it's been a real pleasure. I changed from Honda and VW for the same reasons you mention and haven't regretted it. The seating in the earlier RX's is divine and driving it is still a pleasure - after all these years! I just hope she carries on as I don't want to change her. My MPG has been pretty good for such a heavy ( and safe!) car @ 23/24 mpg measured very accurately over at least 5,000 miles per calculation. Reliability has been excellent so far and only ever being let down by a seized brake caliper. Although it was out of warranty at the time Lexus were very helpful when it was bill paying time!

You'll find lots of posts about the gearbox in these early models but it's never bothered me or my wife - just a bit snappy at times. To say my wife loves this car would be a MASSIVE understatement.

I hope this has been of help to you and the test drive goes well. If it doesn't or you don't feel the car has been cherished then keep looking.

Alan

:shifty:

If its a high mileage one and is close to 100k, ensure that you factor in that you will have to get the cam belt changed. If it's over 100k, ensure that it HAS been done and you see the receipt. This cost about £300 from a non Lexus garage. Hope you get one, as they are excellent cars.

The car I am looking at has done 59000 miles has a stack of receipts and has 8 stamps in the book, looks like it needs a service in around 2000 odd miles. I have been told that it has a scratch down one of the passenger doors, but its up at £6450 which I could still get a few quid off, so let's say he let's me have it for £6000 I could have a decent car with money to spend on a decent full service and get the scratch done. It's the SE model with the full sat nav etc and leather.

Your thoughts please experts?

Hi,

My wife had an RX300LE, which we owned for 3 years, and it was 100% reliable, and my wife, who isnt into cars, really loved it. I have to say it was a pleasure to own, as it looked good and was extremely comfortable. We decided to sell it a few months ago with the intention of downsizing to a Qashqui / Rav or CRV, but having driven them we decided to buy an Rx400h, which we are very pleased with. I would recommend an RX300 100%, and they are excellent value for money, despite for their adiction to petrol stations !

The car I am looking at has done 59000 miles has a stack of receipts and has 8 stamps in the book, looks like it needs a service in around 2000 odd miles. I have been told that it has a scratch down one of the passenger doors, but its up at £6450 which I could still get a few quid off, so let's say he let's me have it for £6000 I could have a decent car with money to spend on a decent full service and get the scratch done. It's the SE model with the full sat nav etc and leather.

Your thoughts please experts?

All quite reasonable but no judgement is possible without seeing the car. Surely you are not buying on line?

Hi,

My wife had an RX300LE, which we owned for 3 years, and it was 100% reliable, and my wife, who isnt into cars, really loved it. I have to say it was a pleasure to own, as it looked good and was extremely comfortable. We decided to sell it a few months ago with the intention of downsizing to a Qashqui / Rav or CRV, but having driven them we decided to buy an Rx400h, which we are very pleased with. I would recommend an RX300 100%, and they are excellent value for money, despite for their adiction to petrol stations !

Kernowlexus, I've just done exactly the same thing! Had an RX300 SEL for 8 years (of it's 12 year life) and it's done 139,000 - never broken down, always reliable, comfortable, etc. Was unhappy with the fuel consumption though so started looking round at other 4x4s - Kuga, RAV4, CRV, Quashquai, Tiguan. Whilst they would all have been more economical than the RX400h I have just bought, I was soooooo disappointed with the lack of refinement and spec. All the stuff in the Lexus you take for granted, and it's a sorry situation to be test driving cars without all those little touches. Hence why I eventually (after 18 months of looking at different car models, and driving my husband bonkers in the process) went back to a Lexus.

Good luck. The RX300 is a fine car.

• 1 month later...

I just read Concho's original post again and spotted that he is looking at up to £7.5k for a late RX300 !!! Surely for that budget, it's best to by pass the RX300 and go for a 400h (can get a 2005/2006 model on Autotrader, ok it will have high mileage, so what, if it has FLSH and has been looked after, it should not be a problem), wont get a RX350 for that money, as they seem to be holding their value more.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links