Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all

I have a late 2005 GS300 series 3

My problem (if it is a problem) is when i change from recirc to fresh air after a few mins there is a slap sound from the passanger side back of glovebox its like a flap suddenly closeing this only happens when the air con switch is off. its more noticable if i brake or accelerate

I do think the air entry flap is working, as if i put it to recirc without air con on it steams up the windows and the sound of the air comeing out of the vents changes and you get that strange smell not a bad smell but its always the same on all cars i believe.

But if i put on the air con in full auto mode i never hear the slap sound of the flap Closeing/opening

I took out the Pollen filter (yes i did put it in recirc Mode) whilst it was a bit grubby it wasnt too bad.

The car as been serviced all its life at Poole and i had my first service at Sheffield last september

I have heard horror stories of broken linkage costing over a grand to be repaired hope this is not the case and the heating is normal operating procedure but i do switch of the air con compressor in this weather

TIA

Robert

There have been cases where the servo motor flaps have failed and as you are aware getting to them is the major problem hence the high labour costs involved.

With the present damp weather conditions I find my LS steams up without the AC being on, not only does AC cool the air it also dries it so helps to prevent condensation.

I tend to leave my AC on all the time ( with an LS the fuel consumption difference is negligible anyway!). If the outside air temperature drops below 5 degrees C the compressor will not kick in anyway so running time is minimised but the system will preserve itself better when it does run.

The only sure way of diagnosing the problem is to dive in there but there is a lot of stuff to remove just to get to the area where the problem may be,sorry can't offer any simple cure but you may be lucky and get away with just removing the glovebox and getting access from there.

Perhaps it would be worth calling into your local dealer and asking their opinion.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Ref my air con Recirc mode i took my Lexus to Sheffield to have the Fresh/Air recirc checked they found that the shaft on the door that the lever connects to was broken common problem said he will cost upwards of a grand to repair.

I had been on the American LexusOwners site where these cars are more plentiful and there was loads of posts to repair it with a bolt through door and lever and held on with glue but i didnt want to go Bodge route as i did suspect that was what was up with mine.

But i found one post the that said a repair kit was available to repair it as a lot have had to be changed under warranty even dealerships was breaking this flap by not following instructions in the manual, vis air con must be in recirc mode before you open the flap in the glove compartment to change pollen filter ITS A MUST if you dont its a £1000 repair as they have to replace the whole blower.

I did a lot of research on this anyway i said to the parts man at Sheffield " you can get a repair kit" "no you cant said he you have to order complete blower" i said "i beg to differ my freind you can " anyway i came out Man said " you dont really need recirc mode in uk tho " i said thats not the point i wanted it to work but im not paying a grand.

At that the parts man came running out said "you are right there is a kit its not been out long its 25 pound shall i order you one"

Yes said I they fitted it for me yesterday in SITU in an hour, charged me 1 hour labour less than 100 pound for whole job well pleased

and the service manager Gary is a very pleasant man cant do enough to help you a pleasure to deal with a credit to his Bosses

they did have to take pass glove box etc out i did ask if they did it with out taking blower out he wasnt sure but he said "probably not as the kit is a repair kit"

Kit consisted of

1 door

1 Lever

1 Long bar type part

and a couple of foot of foam tape

thats it

But well pleased now as i do need it as wife as a bit of Asthma so the auto recirc is a boon to me

Robert

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links