Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Did Is200 Engine Is Too Smoothly

marsis

Hi,on my is200 executive,i am not sure if is normal like acceleration to be so smoothly,don't matter how hard i press acceleration pad,the engine''take his time''-is smoothly...i wonder if is not something wrong ,and traction control on or off don't make any difference...traction control off don't was supposed to make the acceleration more sharp...car more fast?thank's.

Yes its a smooth car and not very fast.

Traction control doesn't make a car faster it makes it handle better. When the traction control detects wheel spin it cuts the throttle so you can't accelerate making the wheel spin worse. Turn off traction control and you can wheel spin and slide the car as much as you want.... Until you hit a tree.

Yes if you don't wheel spin it. All traction control does is try to keep the car in a straight line. It has nothing to do with power of the engine except it cuts power when it detects wheelspin. You seem confused, as if you thought the traction control should give you more power? Why do you think that?

thanks Steve...i knew it,just on my last car,an '99 mazda 323,1.5,petrol i never don't press full pad ...on is200,i own it on last 3 months,even with TC off,full pad pressed,the engine take his time,even on low gear...i wonder if is normal that or is something wrong...why is not any difference with traction control on or off?

Hi Marsis,

On the IS200 manual to get the most from the engine you need to go up through the gears, to try and keep the revs in the 3000-4500rpm band as this is where the power is. if you start off from rest with your foot fully down, keep an eye on what happens to the acceleration at that rpm range, it should be noticably faster than the lower revs...so it's down to how you drive it. On an auto this is still there, but you need to use kickdown to access that rev range properly.

Ok I'm gonna say it one more time, turning on/off the traction control will not increase/decrease the acceleration in a car unless the TRC is turned on and your wheels start spinning, then it will cut the power to the engine to stop the wheels spinning therefore giving you very poor acceleration. It is a stability function...

Ive got a auto. Personally I like that its smooth and relaxed and didnt buy it to drive fast, even if the looks are a bit misleading, but i knew before i bought it how it performed. I just hated how my focus 1.6 auto was so revy and loud, you'd be lucky if it changed under 4k and it wasnt going anywhere in a hurry even then! I find even tho the IS200 likes to change before 3000 RPM it gets the job done fairly effortlessly. Many ppl do drive the car with the PWR button always on tho to hint to the car to get a move on! Im also guessing if your a bit of a lead footer the tranny would adapt. you've also got the option to use the selector to go thru the gears of course, but i only use it to kick back for over taking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links