Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Isf Wheels

Would you say our wheels are corrosion- proof as I have never seen a complaint whereas the Italian 250 wheels can corrode.Assume most of us are using Poorboys which obviously helps.

Tel

They may have better resistance against corrosion but Poorboys doesn't stop the hot particles in the brake dust from embedding in the coating. The worst area is in the trailing corners where the spokes meet the rim. I have managed to avoid it for the first couple of years, mainly due to changing to Hawk Ceramic pads, but I've noticed my wheels now have embedded particles that claying will not remove.

I spoke to the Lexus Cheltenham service manager and he told me that Lexus attempted to meet the customer complaints by using a mild abrasive cleaning pad, similar to 'Scotchbrite', but this only worked for a short time as continued use would eventually remove the colour coat to reveal the primer.

I inspected two IS-F's at the dealership, one a 2008 MY, the other a 2010 MY, and both had rims that were a lot worse than mine. Apparently the only solution is refurbishment, but who wants to do that every couple of years?

On your advice I used Supaguard Wheel Protection as advised by my BMW mate & then applied Poorboys from week 1 as I was facing a 2k French Trip in the first month of ownership.On arrival @ my Brother-in Laws in Burgundy the Front wheels were near black but cleaned-up perfectly with my wheel kit of large & small large tooth-brushes.-both he & I were impressed as I had said this

was a potential issue that had been responded to in the US but not the UK!

Since then I have always kept the wheels clean using Supaguard then Poor boys removing all dust from the corners which comes-off easily except for the odd stubborn particle which I remove with a nylon scourer very easily-------I have done 7k & will be going to France in Autumn which will be another test of my "cleaning system".

I will price-up the Ceramics in Vegas in the interim but @ this point in-time my wheels are mint.

Tel

• 2 weeks later...

I think my wheels have been put on the wrong side of the car. As the wheel turns should the thinner part of the blade be the leading edge? Mine has the thicker edge and I'm sure that's wrong. I've read somewhere that there is a stamp on the alloy with the position that the wheel should be on the car e.g. nsf. Does anyone know where this stamp is?

Here's mine

post-5848-0-14743900-1366640038_thumb.jp

But I've just noticed my rears have the thicker edge leading :eerrrmm:. Are yours the same all round??? Pretty sure my rears are incorrect, backed up by looking at the official Lexus marketing pics..

Edit.

All four rims have different part numbers, e.g. if you check the part number stamped inside the rim of the nearside front, it should be 4261A-53010, or if more convenient, take off the nearside rear and it should have part number 4261A-53030 (or RV 738 depending on MY...offside rear would then be RV741). If either of those are different then the rim has been fitted to the wrong corner of the car. Checking mine now :glare:

Edit edit

Fortunately that was easy enough to fix as the Mitchelin SuperSports are non directional, just switched the rear rims side to side. Note for future use- check for correct orientation when having tyres changed. So just to confirm, thin edge is the leading edge.

My tyres are Bridgestones with Outside printed on them so if the technician knows the spec which includes corner specific with the bladed wheel thick-edge -trailing & different sizes front & rear, replacement should not be an issue.

The Handbook states this,Lexus Derby Parts no-less knows this as he has recently supplied wheels for someone(different Part Nos etc) so any tyres or wheels fitted by Lexus incorrectly have really screwed -up which is simply unacceptable.

Tel

Just checked mine, the rears are ok but the fronts are both leading with the thick edge.

Swapped the wheels over as the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are not directional.

Checked with Lexus Manchester and after some research, came back to me and said it is important that the tapered edge is leading as this directs air onto the brake discs for cooling!

Incidentally they couldn't tell me if they participate in the Lexus Gold Membership!

Mine are OK, but this is useful to know as I will be getting 4 new tyres in a couple of months and I can make sure they end up the right way round. As they clearly affect air flow, I wonder if having them on wrong at the front might contribute to excessive brake dust (as reported in other posts) down the flanks of the car. I've never had problems with brake dust on the wing or doors, but it does like to accumulate on the wheels themselves.

Mine have been on the wrong way round for the last 10k miles and I've not noticed any brake dust down the flanks. But plenty on the wheels so I'll see if its any different next week after mine get them put right.

My rears are the wrong way round.....but I'm not surprised, now was it the dealer who i bought the car from or the dealer who serviced it....either way it appears Lexus dealers aren't on the ball given the amount on hear that are wrong.

Their apparent lack of knowledge on the IS-F is beginning to alarm me...what other ISF specific things do they miss during servicing I wonder?

My rears are the wrong way round.....but I'm not surprised, now was it the dealer who i bought the car from or the dealer who serviced it....either way it appears Lexus dealers aren't on the ball given the amount on hear that are wrong.

Their apparent lack of knowledge on the IS-F is beginning to alarm me...what other ISF specific things do they miss during servicing I wonder?

Mines in for its 60k service next week. I think i'll mark the spark plugs first to be sure they get changed. All the valve clearances are supposed to get checked as well, how can I be sure it gets done?

Mine are OK, but this is useful to know as I will be getting 4 new tyres in a couple of months and I can make sure they end up the right way round. As they clearly affect air flow, I wonder if having them on wrong at the front might contribute to excessive brake dust (as reported in other posts) down the flanks of the car. I've never had problems with brake dust on the wing or doors, but it does like to accumulate on the wheels themselves.

I've never had problems with dust down the flanks, but I did change to Hawk ceramic based pads on the front just after I bought the car. However, they still generate hot particles that attempt to melt themselves into the laquer coat in the trailing corner of each spoke. It would be interesting to know how effective the design of the wheels are in generating air flow from the 'outside in'. If the rear diffuser is generating slightly negative pressure under the car you'd like to think this would help in the air flow through the wheels, but evidence suggests it isn't enough to stop the dust build up on the outside of the rims.

Mines in for its 60k service next week. I think i'll mark the spark plugs first to be sure they get changed. All the valve clearances are supposed to get checked as well, how can I be sure it gets done?

I guess you can't. The check is conducted by sound I think, rather than a physical check so to speak.

• 6 months later...

What does it mean by tapered edge leading , leading where , I must be thick lol

The thin part of the blade cuts into the air first. They are designed to extract heat from the brakes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links