Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On way home tonight i slowed down and stopped at a set of lights. I had driven approx 2 miles so engine was just heating up (indicator was half way between cold and the thermometer symbol).

It had been raining practically all day but the sun was out for about an hour before getting in it to go home.

When pulling up at the lights the car started to feel really lumpy (best way i can describe it) - i was doing about 20mph down to a stop when this happened (first time experienced). Revs were ok / temperature was as above and the car was in Drive gear. It was a definate engine problem and not from the wheels etc.

Car is an IS250 SE-L Auto 70k miles with full service history.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I guess it depends how lumpy, lumpy is.

I sometimes find particularly until engine is at full operating temperature that its more prone to slight lumpy idle when in drive waiting at lights. When it is slightly lumpy it's tickover is near 500rpm. This is only slight as my wife doesn't even notice but I feel everything.

The cure for me is turning the air con on. This ups the revs to nearer 700rpm at which the engine is difficult to determine its even running.

As I attend to leave the climate / aircon on all the time this rarely ever becomes noticeable now.

I have heard others mention similar symptoms to me and there doesn't seem to be any explanation.

Its probably just an age thing, dirt in the system, sensors not as good as when they were new, could be anything.

Carl

A bit worrying as i have just bought it - plugs were changed (i was told) in a pre sale service

I will just keep an eye on it - it gave no other indication that anything was wrong, no noise or smell, revs were up slightly if at all and it drove off ok when lights changed ... got me stumped as i have never had this before.

Other than asking the garage where it was purchased from would any Lexus dealership hold info on what was changed on each service or would it be the dealer that stamped the book that would hold the info. My local dealer would be Chester - car was serviced in Newcastle area.

Some Lexus dealers are great at getting all the info for you...they can do this...some are not so obliging.

Ask the dealer direct if you want it from the horses mouth..so to speak.

Hopefully it is just a momentary glitch.

Thanks for all the info - i am getting all the bits together to do a full service on it in a month or so - so will give it a good going over (if it doesnt pack in before then). I havent had the time since buying it to look it over properly.

For peace of mind i might even look at the plugs and replace (expensive job i know) just so i know they have been done. Oil / filters and pads are also on the list.

Will put some walkthroughs on when done.

is this not a case of carbon build-up on the IS250:

see:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/79916-carbon-build-up/

A month ago mines felt like it was going to stall at the lights, and was juddering.... but a few hard revs and all was fine, never had any problems ever since.

agent_dess

SPOT ON - followed the link and what it described was what i experienced - the car "shivered" was a better description than what i gave as lumpy. Anyway i have had a look through the thread and will be buying some of the carbon removal fluid recomended.

I used to regularly use Redex on last lexus i had so i guess this is why i never felt it in that car.

thanks

agent_dess

SPOT ON - followed the link and what it described was what i experienced - the car "shivered" was a better description than what i gave as lumpy. Anyway i have had a look through the thread and will be buying some of the carbon removal fluid recomended.

I used to regularly use Redex on last lexus i had so i guess this is why i never felt it in that car.

thanks

Excellent... in my experience I thought it was just down to a bad fuel batch... I always get shell fuelsave but it those days I was experimenting with the shell v-power... Might have been something to do with the mixing of the 2 fuel types.... But I only ever had the issue once and I've stuck with shell fuelsave ever since.

Bought a can of BG44 and put it in the tank today with a full top up of fuel from Shell.

Bit too early to tell if theres any difference but will re-post when have re-filled up again.

Hmmm might give BG44k a try myself..

I also want to give Terraclean a try too...

normski2:

Out of curiosity do you use BG244 on your IS220d? Or does BG44k work on both petrol and Diesel engines?

Last time I did it.....last year...I used BG244 on my sons 220diesel and then put BG44K in the 250 petrol.

Check out the power enhancer website for the latest advice.

Maybe worth a look at renewing engine air filter. Simple and cheap start and worth eliminating this area first.

As far as I know, the carbon buildup issue with the symptoms you describe is pretty much confined to the IS250 engine (doesn't happen with the IS350). Which car do you have (your handle says IS200 but you say the car is an IS250)?

A Lexus dealer can bring up any service work that was done at a lexus dealership (its always stored on their central corporate Lexus computer) but not work that was performed elsewhere.

70 miles further on from putting the additive in the fuel and theres a definate improvement when pulling away when in Drive, Still a long way to go until its fully through the system. It must have badly needed doing. Its more responsive - revs are a bit high for longer but i guess thats the additive working through. I dont know if it is supposed to work this quick?

I am going to do a service on the car in a month or so and will be doing all the filters / oil etc then - i may run another can of the BG through at next fill up also to give it a good clean.

The picture against my user is of the old IS i had - not got round to changing it yet

• 4 weeks later...

Filled up last week for the first time since using the BG additive. The "shiver" I experienced with the car has not come back since and the car does feel a lot more responsive than it was..

There is no hesitation when accelerating anymore or pulling away at lights - I will treat it again for good measure the next time I fill up and see how it goes from there

Will be servicing next month so will get it done then. Just on the same subject as additives - I have always ran a tin of Wynns through the engine before changing oils - had no trouble with this but is this the best one to use

Thanks for recommendation on the BG44.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links