Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

08 Is220D - Coolant Dripping From Overflow Pip

Hi all,

I have my 08 IS220d (61k miles) about 7 weeks and its been going fine, about a week after I got the car (lexus approved car)i checked the oil and coolant and the coolant was slightly over the full mark when cold and i noticed lots of dried in coolant stains around the fan belt area. I left the car into lexus and they said they checked it and that the car was fine and the coolant stains must have been just down to being overfilled. The coolant level has now dropped down to halfway between hot and cold (when the car is cold). The car done around 300 miles yesterday (mainly motorway driving) and i noticed a few fresh small wet drops around the fan area - is this normal? Should I send it back to lexus and tell them somethings not right???? Other than that the car drives fine, no mayo around the oil cap, the coolant is pink and the temperature needle sits dead on half way when warm and doesnt budge.

i checked my coolant the other day and it was down to the low mark and also looked like water had come from the overflow pipe, had the car about 2 months and im going to monitor the water to see if it goes down and if it does how quick

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news lads, I was the original poster, I left the car into lexus for inspection shortly after I posted that and got a new engine fitted under warranty last week - that said is your coolant on the max or slightly over when cold? it could be just chucking the excess out - hope that's the case, let me know how you both get on! Best Wishes

Mine also appeared to be using a bit of oil towards the end as well - it seemed to be about a 1/3 down the dipstick over 1,000 miles or so, it's a bloody nightmare to read tho!

Mate i have the same problems and.took.mine to an independent garage yesterday to look at and reckons its the head gasket. Going to lexus Friday as i have an extended warranty with the rac as i only got my car 2 months ago. Am i only right in thinking this is a common fault and lexus will do free repair on a head gasket failure if your mileage is under 106k miles. Mines a 57 plate

My car is was an approved used lexus, full history but only one lexus stamp (when it was serviced before I bought it) - I reckon you are sorted buddy - your car is within the age and I'm assuming you are under 112k? What miles have you on her? It will be like a

different car when you get it back, mine has been hitting 48-51mpg on longer runs with the new engine!

mines on 78k, well I hope so as im averaging 31-33mpg, I do have the sport version,

is there a link or anything I can say to back up what would be a free repair.

Google 'out of warranty ad engine guidelines' your car falls within age, miles and service history so I don't see why they wouldn't replace it. I'd advice contacting lexus

How long do you have it from the independent garage? I would try calling into lexus and see what they say, it shouldn't matter at all where it was bought, fact is Toyota extended the warranty to 7yrs 111k on 1AD (2.0 D4D) and 2AD(2.2D4D - what you have) and you have a full service history so I'd bet it would be straightforward. Keep me informed.

just over 2 months ive own it.

there trying to weasel out of it by saying not all the stamps are lexus (2 are) and there was no stamp in 2011, but these things are nothing to do with me and a service wouldn't effect the head gasket.

she was going on about they may do a good will gesture depending what the warranty bloke says, I know they will look for anything not to pay or to pay as little as special but im not to concerned as I got a rac warranty when I bought the car so someone is paying out

Honestly if you read the 'out of warranty engine guidelines' it says the car must have been reasonably maintained - missing one service would still be fine, The lack of lexus stamps doesn't matter, mine has 4 independent garage stamps and 1 lexus! - I would honestly fill out the contact lexus webpage form, they will get back to you within a few days

I heard back from lexus and they have told me my car isn't covered by there extended warranty, here is there excuses.

not all my stamps are lexus, ( 2 out of 7 are)

missing 1 service stamp

car is to old, (registered in jan 07)

I told them all this was pony as I read the ad warranty from Toyota then they said because my car isn't lexus approved and was bought from an independent garage that's another reason, I have spoke to lexus Cambridge and there customer relations, where else or what else can I do?

I spoke to the head bloke at Cambridge and he said when he filed the warranty claim it came back auto denial!!

I knew lexus would try weaselling out of this, absolutely terrible customer services as they know its a common fault,

is the office of fair trading worth going to

I heard back from lexus and they have told me my car isn't covered by there extended warranty, here is there excuses.

not all my stamps are lexus, ( 2 out of 7 are) - that doesnt matter it states 'the car must have been reasonably maintained - it doesnt say it must have a full lexus/toyota history.

missing 1 service stamp - again the car must have been 'reasonably maintained', although a full service history is ideal, i wouldnt imagine it would be grounds for knocking it back

car is to old, (registered in jan 07) - warranty is 7yrs/111k miles

I would contact lexus customer services personally.

• Like 1

Also - from the AD out of warranty guidelines

1) Prior Approval is not necessary if the claim is within the period of coverage, i.e. 7 years111,846 miles - I may be wrong but that tells me that its at the discretion of the dealer

spoke to lexus Cambridge and there customer services and there both still trying to fob me off, I have an outside warranty with the rac and I believe that lexus Cambridge tried going through them (twg) instead of going through lexus warranty as they haven't had a claim go in,

Cambridge told me they use twg for outside warranties but surely this is a lexus problem as Toyota have already made the stipulations about what cars are covered

Sounds crazy to me, I'd phone lexus customer services ASAP. Where is the next nearest lexus dealer to you? I wouldn't hold out much hope with the RAC warranty :o(

ive been speaking to the customer services and there the worst at fobbing me off, just keep saying it don't matter about Toyotas memo my car is out of 3 year warranty, I think my next nearest would be Ipswich, I live in newmarket

Try phoning the dealer in ipswitch! Failing that try sending a nice email to Lexus UK, they should reply within a few days. Failing that I would be contacting the dealer you bought the car from, its not fit for purpose then!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links