Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 Rx400H Inverter Failure

That's interesting as I understood you were entitled to recover any defective parts replaced on a vehicle as technically they belong to the car's owner.

What would happen therefore if your inverter was stolen and you needed a replacement without having one to return?

Does it actually state on the estimate the replacement inverter is brand new?

The owner can have it, but then the price would be £5000, not £4000.

That's interesting as I understood you were entitled to recover any defective parts replaced on a vehicle as technically they belong to the car's owner.

What would happen therefore if your inverter was stolen and you needed a replacement without having one to return?

Does it actually state on the estimate the replacement inverter is brand new?

Re - "Does it actually state on the estimate the replacement inverter is brand new?"

I haven't asked, it was done over the phone, will call them tomorrow.

I'm curious so bear with me, if for example you buy a replacement starter motor from Lexus is it brand new or reconditioned and do you have to return the old unit?

I deal regularly with apple products and if the power supply is defective they just replace the whole board not repair it, apple will also not allow you to retain the old board even at a price and I was told the reason was because they are sent back to apple and repaired.

I then asked if the "new" replacement board was actually factory fresh never previously used or reconditioned.....no reply to that one!

I'm curious so bear with me, if for example you buy a replacement starter motor from Lexus is it brand new or reconditioned and do you have to return the old unit?

I deal regularly with Apple products and if the power supply is defective they just replace the whole board not repair it, Apple will also not allow you to retain the old board even at a price and I was told the reason was because they are sent back to Apple and repaired.

I then asked if the "new" replacement board was actually factory fresh never previously used or reconditioned.....no reply to that one!

I suspect that they don't want us to invesigate the fault ourselves and that they are not telling us the whole truth about the inverter unit because it looks like it can be repaired.

just had a look at the recall repair procedure, it looks like Toyota supplied the transistor board and asked dealers to replace just that sub-component. Unfortunately as a spare there are no sub-components and the whole inverter assembly needs to be replaced.

One potential reason is the dealers have no way to diagnose sub-component faults, however it is also quite common for sub-components not to be available. for example a screen/nav unit is just one item, you cannot just get the LCD display.

Check your terms of sale. If you bought & did not 'rent' the inverter then its yours & they cannot refuse to give it to you FOC
They tried this scam on me with a starter motor claiming Toyota wanted it back to stop it getting into the 'used' market. Complete bull I now know that they are refurbished & resold as the only thing that tends to go wrong are the contacts which can be replaced for a few quid instead of £250 for a new starter

• 3 months later...

Check your terms of sale. If you bought & did not 'rent' the inverter then its yours & they cannot refuse to give it to you FOC

They tried this scam on me with a starter motor claiming Toyota wanted it back to stop it getting into the 'used' market. Complete bull I now know that they are refurbished & resold as the only thing that tends to go wrong are the contacts which can be replaced for a few quid instead of £250 for a new starter

Don't agree, if you are given an alternate one free or if the price you are charged for a new one is effectively 'part exchange' then Lexus can keep it.

Just a qick line to say that Lexus sorted it out for me free of charge even before the current recall (http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83969-lexus-rx400h-recall/) have been issued.

Thats great news, good to see they stepped up to the mark this time........or were they worried if you decided to repair it yourself you could have found the fault from the original recall affecting yours, even though officially its not "on the list"?

Guess we will never know, but a fantastic outcome for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links