Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracked Windscreen

jeffreyt

in 50 years of motoring I have never had one of these but have got a real beaut on the SC430.

Noticed it this morning ,starts at the the bottom o/s corner and goes diagonally for about 15 inches.

Went out on Wednesday down to visit one of the kids down in Sussex and it wasn't there when I got back Wednesday evening,or maybe it was just starting and I didn't notice it.

I did hit an unseen pothole on Wednesday and the whole car seemed to shake really badly ( top was down )

and can only think it must have been that flexing of the chassis that caused it.

Luckily I have bonus protection on the NCB so will make an insurance claim on Monday.

Hope I can get it fixed quickly as driving these cars with the top down in this weather is just wonderful ,over the years I have had a number of convertibles both saloons and sports cars but the SC430 is without doubt the best so far.

Call autoglass and tell them your insurance company and they will no what your window excess is also if your vat registered you will have to pay that element as well.

Window screen cover doesn't effect your main insurance policy as It's separate .but I enquired last week out of interest and the straight cost was 650 ,I only asked as one of my vans was getting one fitted.

Can you locate the pothole again, photograph it & contact the relevant council, you can use the freedom of info 2000 act to find out when the road was last inspected & if the hole was noted & not repaired you have grounds for a claim. There was a feature on Watchdog about it 2 or 3 weeks ago you can look up for more info.

Is it really worth the effort and cost of chasing the Local Authority for the sake of your excess of £50-£80.00 when they will deny liability from the offset?

Making a claim does not affect your insurance NCB or premiums as far as I am aware, the main thing is to use a reputable company for the replacement screen,ensure the screen is OEM quality and the fit is correct.

TBH I don't think I could find the pothole again and I'm only guessing it was bodyflex from going over it as I can't find any chips or other damage to blame.

Phoned up the broker this morning who checked my policy details then put me straight through to an autoglass repair company and I have someone fitting a new 'screen next week.Evidently I just pay them the £75 excess and they deal with the insurance company for the bill.

How efficient is that.Lets hope the fitter is equally efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

fitter arrived from Auto Windscreens exactly when he said he would and looks to have done a really neat job with no fuss and no sharp intakes of breath.Pleasantly surprised with this degree of service,perhaps I am getting too cynical in my old age.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links