Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Got A Lpg Converted Ls For Sale (Or An Ls To Convert)

I know your not permitted to advertise on here, but ive had a problem with my converted ls430 over the weekend and it looks as if it would be cheaper to buy another than repair.

One of the spark plugs has melted in the engine block it has been removed by lexus dealer and they are looking at getting the mounting re threaded or a qoute to do it over the next few days. It has been mis-firing over the weekend and i was going to book it in for lpg and a service, but it seems it was more serious than i thought and it wanted a rest on the hard shoulder.

doesnt look like trading it in is an option so id consider something about £5k not concerned about mileage ive had several over the years. mine was MM51TTY bought from a forum member over a year ago.

any other comments welcome ...

Regards

So sorry to hear your dreadful news .......... . would be really interesting to have a prognosis on how the plug melted !

Malc

its with the dealer now, they have now idea but they are going to send the Coil and melted plug to toyota/lexus for further diagnosis. i called in today to see how they were getting on and they showed me the damage. the coil is at the top and it has a plastic type seal to the engine, that had split and that may be the initial cause.

As you know the engine warning light is on following a lpg conversion, it goes off after car is serviced but back on after any decent journey, not concerend about that done ablout 50k with it converted so no prob there.

at the weekend i noticed my phone vibrating on its mount, then noticed while stopped at lights there was a mis-fire going on. at home the engine had a louder than normal tick-over but i wasnt concerned decide to drive to work nottingham to sheffield daily commute and book in for a service i just did a b service last time as funds were tight it should have had an a at 140k that would prob have replaced the plugs ...

the plug itself appears to be stuck in the coil mounting but one side of its thread right to the top has melted away, the engineers say there was a fault code from the diagnosis but didnt say what it was and it may just be the usual one from the lpg anyway.

I cant confirm it had the Correct plugs fitted this would have been down to prev owner who is a forum member and was very proud of his car justifiably so (sorry but ive broke it)

its with the dealer now, they have now idea but they are going to send the Coil and melted plug to toyota/lexus for further diagnosis. i called in today to see how they were getting on and they showed me the damage. the coil is at the top and it has a plastic type seal to the engine, that had split and that may be the initial cause.

As you know the engine warning light is on following a lpg conversion, it goes off after car is serviced but back on after any decent journey, not concerend about that done ablout 50k with it converted so no prob there.

at the weekend i noticed my phone vibrating on its mount, then noticed while stopped at lights there was a mis-fire going on. at home the engine had a louder than normal tick-over but i wasnt concerned decide to drive to work nottingham to sheffield daily commute and book in for a service i just did a b service last time as funds were tight it should have had an a at 140k that would prob have replaced the plugs ...

the plug itself appears to be stuck in the coil mounting but one side of its thread right to the top has melted away, the engineers say there was a fault code from the diagnosis but didnt say what it was and it may just be the usual one from the lpg anyway.

I cant confirm it had the Correct plugs fitted this would have been down to prev owner who is a forum member and was very proud of his car justifiably so (sorry but ive broke it)

Hi Colin

I have done nearly 100K on LPG and my engine light is never on. Except of course when there is a fault. I had a pin hole in my exhaust that was very close to the Lamda sensors and was a swine to weld up but I got it done - this caused the light to come on. The short term data will be cleared from the ECU if you disconnect the Battery or clear them from the OBD port - I could do this and the light would stay out for a few days but soon came back on. If you had the car serviced at a Lexus dealer what did they say? I did not wait too long to get mine sorted out - I am interested who told you that the light being on was O.K. and what the faults where in the system that caused the light to come on.

I hope you get a good result mate - if a dealer serviced the car and said it was ok.......................

Bren

i think the em light coming on is something to do with whoever converts it to lpg,i had atemporary job for a while airport runs, alot of the cars there were converted mostly fords and volvo i drove a merc e class diesel,but sometimes i drove the others they all had the em light on,the ist timei got in one i mention this and mechanic said they all do that after conversion,dunno if the result of a cheap conv

the fords never lasted long with lpg 40/50,000 without the heads being changed a year in that envireoment,they had some factory lpg volvo s80 which done 500,000 with no real probs,they converted some new ford galaxys they were always off the road

when going they all went ok and economic about £25 of gas gatwick and back 250 miles approx they had there own bulk tank so prob cheaper

Sounds like yet another LPG lash up. Once these cars have been converted there should be no lights on and if done properly the car and all its computers should run as normal.

I cant remember your one as there have been a couple on here with this problem.

There are a couple on eBay and Pistonheads but be warned you can buy a whole load of trouble if you don't make proper checks on the vehicle your looking at your going to end up in the same boat or even worse.

Mike

i think the em light coming on is something to do with whoever converts it to lpg,i had atemporary job for a while airport runs, alot of the cars there were converted mostly fords and volvo i drove a merc e class diesel,but sometimes i drove the others they all had the em light on,the ist timei got in one i mention this and mechanic said they all do that after conversion,dunno if the result of a cheap conv

the fords never lasted long with lpg 40/50,000 without the heads being changed a year in that envireoment,they had some factory lpg volvo s80 which done 500,000 with no real probs,they converted some new ford galaxys they were always off the road

when going they all went ok and economic about £25 of gas gatwick and back 250 miles approx they had there own bulk tank so prob cheaper

I owned a converted LPG Mondeo and that did 122,000 miles and sold on and was still going strong. We have a Focus estate with 86,000 miles on without any problems and thats still going strong. Mike

Hello LOC.

Bluesman and Brendangeorge has it in 1. You should never have an EML code on, after or because of a conversion.

If you are going to purchase a vehicle with LPG already installed, I would highly suggest you to take it down to a Lexus dealership and find out its EML history.

Also make sure you purchase it with a full service history and an LPG certificate.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Leon

Profess LPG LTD.

• Like 1

I'm with Mike - the light should never be on under normal operating conditions - if the EM light is on you have a problem - read the codes from the ECU via the OBD port - you can get an interface for you laptop or tablet on eBay for a few quid. Any competent garage/mechanic will tell you this and will also be able to check the fault for you. If the Lexus designers think light on is a fault how can anybody else say differently.

Good luck passing the MoT with the light on.

Bren

I should have said that I do feel for you and all the others that have been taken in by these cowboy outfits, It ruins what should be a pleasurable experience, driving one of the worlds most luxurious cars and costing what it would cost to run a focus.

Don't give up on LPG just take more time over getting things checked out and when you get that funny smell advancing over the reception or workshop floor, you know what it is, BULL****, just run. Mike

em light wasnt on when purchased, someone had cleared the EM Code and it had an lpg cert, when it came back on i got the car serviced, light went out, got the car lpg serviced it came back on after 500 miles, took it back to different lpg service centre who confirmed brcs system was set up correctly for vehicle, Back to lexus dealer who said em diag suggested it was running a little lean but within tolerances for its age/mileage. did 50k with out issue now done a total of 140k which i agree is about 100k less than id expect from my other lexus 400's ive had over the years.

LESSON: is prob to have the plugs and em checked on regular basis if your running LPG, incidently it had a lexus service 2 months ago but i elected to just do a "b" service. if you put the lexus approved titanium plugs in at service interval i guess i wouldnt have had the issue.

disappointed but not devastated, it appears it may be corrected by re-threading or is this a bad idea

Sounds like yet another LPG lash up. Once these cars have been converted there should be no lights on and if done properly the car and all its computers should run as normal.

There are a couple on Ebay and Pistonheads but be warned you can buy a whole load of trouble if you don't make proper checks on the vehicle your looking at your going to end up in the same boat or even worse.

Mike

this is no different to buying any second hand vehicle, if your going to do it youve got to accept some risk. and you cant expect lexus dealers to fully support a modified engine. the irritating thing is the Fuel and mileage remaining calcs that stop you playing fuel light bingo. or are you suggesting these work correctly when you convert them properly, what do you suggest as the best system out there for Lexus vehicles?

• Like 1

mike don't get me wrong i lile lpg ,it was just observation when i worked there, some of those cars prob driven by 5 different drivers a week,you look after yours so prob that something to do with it but the lights on all the time i dunno .i had a v8 grand chereokee with lpg that had no lights on pity the rest of the car was'nt as good as the engine

em light wasnt on when purchased, someone had cleared the EM Code and it had an lpg cert, when it came back on i got the car serviced, light went out, got the car lpg serviced it came back on after 500 miles, took it back to different lpg service centre who confirmed brcs system was set up correctly for vehicle, Back to lexus dealer who said em diag suggested it was running a little lean but within tolerances for its age/mileage. did 50k with out issue now done a total of 140k which i agree is about 100k less than id expect from my other lexus 400's ive had over the years.

LESSON: is prob to have the plugs and em checked on regular basis if your running LPG, incidently it had a lexus service 2 months ago but i elected to just do a "b" service. if you put the lexus approved titanium plugs in at service interval i guess i wouldnt have had the issue.

disappointed but not devastated, it appears it may be corrected by re-threading or is this a bad idea

Hi Colin

Running lean with the light on is not within accepted params in my humble opinion - I have done 206K+ in a 430 and have usually put the Lexus plugs in. I would expect if it is running lean it will run hot. The Lexus dealer in Coventry was always great even with the conversion - I usually use an indi now and occasionally go back to Lexus for a special treat.

If the Lexus dealer say they can fix it then take their advice and guarantee - and don't pay if they don't fix it.

Bren

part of the research i did before purchasing was spending some time on here which helped me understand issues and importance of lpg cert and em light, but it wasnt on at purchase and lexus confirmed vehicle was fine when inspected. so i feel i did what i could. incidently after purchase i found the vehicles previous owner was a respected forum member here adding to the comfort factor.

additionally the cert suggested the lpg system had been fitted at 60k miles 40k before i bought it, so its done 110k on lpg can't have been that much wrong with it.

you can only do so much research. and profess gas cant be the only people in the country that fit lpg properly ? im in nottingham.

id still go for another lpg hence my posting, thanks for the pm messages guys i may be in touch

Regards

Hi Colin

Running lean with the light on is not within accepted params in my humble opinion - I have done 206K+ in a 430 and have usually put the Lexus plugs in. I would expect if it is running lean it will run hot. The Lexus dealer in Coventry was always great even with the conversion - I usually use an indi now and occasionally go back to Lexus for a special treat.

If the Lexus dealer say they can fix it then take their advice and guarantee - and don't pay if they don't fix it.

Bren

bren, that seems a reasonable assumption in the circumstances my technical knowledge extends to opening the bonnet and filling the washer bottle thats why I buy lexus ...

There are a couple on Ebay and Pistonheads but be warned you can buy a whole load of trouble if you don't make proper checks on the vehicle your looking at your going to end up in the same boat or even worse.

Mike

this is no different to buying any second hand vehicle, if your going to do it youve got to accept some risk. and you cant expect lexus dealers to fully support a modified engine. the irritating thing is the Fuel and mileage remaining calcs that stop you playing fuel light bingo. or are you suggesting these work correctly when you convert them properly, what do you suggest as the best system out there for Lexus vehicles?

Just go to Profess Gas in South Wales. Mike

Mike

I know that I will get around 320/350 miles to a fill. around 300 I just refill. I have never had a car where the LPG fuel indicator worked accurately, yes not even from Profess but its never been a problem. Mike

mike don't get me wrong i lile lpg ,it was just observation when i worked there, some of those cars prob driven by 5 different drivers a week,you look after yours so prob that something to do with it but the lights on all the time i dunno .i had a v8 grand chereokee with lpg that had no lights on pity the rest of the car was'nt as good as the engine

I take your point. My Grand Cherokee straight 6, 4 litre never had any problems, I had two side tanks plus the main tank fitted to that which gave a me a fill of around 170 liters. I was running over to Europe quite regularly.

I had that converted by a company in Woking and that cost just over £3K and took them 10 days. Shame I hadn't heard of Profess then. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links