Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav

I'm currently driving a CT200 courtesy car whilst waiting for delivery of my F Sport - past Lexus models that I have owned have all had poor usability in so far as the sat nav is concerned and the CT is no different, one of the main gripes being that it appears not to have full postcode input.

Does anyone know whether this will be available on the new IS? - I'm moving from a Range Rover Evoque and I've got to say, that although a bit laggy, the sat nav was excellent.

Yes, postcode input is available.

Thanks Ian - is it full postcode though? - you can only input 3 or four digits on the CT which I find very strange.

I find the CT ok apart from the sobre styling and the poor quality plastics which again is suprising for Lexus.

The reason for that in the CT, btw, is that postcodes are only accurate in most countries to the equivalent 4-5 digits in the UK. Only the UK and Netherlands are as precise as they are. But both are fully supported in the new IS.

But I still really haven't checked out the system, tbh!

Ive seen mixed reviews of the Lexus navigation and mouse pad in general on the GS, LS and now IS by the looks. Some love it some dont, but i think it depends on how technology friendly you are. This is the type of stuff ide be looking at before making a order!

On another note ive also read that the Land Rover system is outdated and in need of a overhaul

Ive seen mixed reviews of the Lexus navigation and mouse pad in general on the GS, LS and now IS by the looks. Some love it some dont, but i think it depends on how technology friendly you are. This is the type of stuff ide be looking at before making a order!

On another note ive also read that the Land Rover system is outdated and in need of a overhaul

Hi Petay

Rest assured that I wouldn't order a car depending on whether or not it had full postcode usability on the nav system, there are much more important issues to consider apart from that.

I had the Range Rover Evoque nav for 18 months without problem, apparently it is more or less the same system that they are using on the new Range Rover Sport so I doubt it is "outdated" more likely just a few tweaks are needed.

Hi Petay

Rest assured that I wouldn't order a car depending on whether or not it had full postcode usability on the nav system, there are much more important issues to consider apart from that.

I had the Range Rover Evoque nav for 18 months without problem, apparently it is more or less the same system that they are using on the new Range Rover Sport so I doubt it is "outdated" more likely just a few tweaks are needed.

funny you should say that, for me if i could ever afford a new car that is, thats kinda stuff would be priority, along side reliability. but thats just me

I think what i meant to say is, the system they use in even the newly released range rover is still the same system as 4 or 5 years ago, so its said its in need of a update to be up to speed with competitors, and in the big daddy range rover, buyers would expect more from the interface when in the surroundings accompaneying. Landrover have even admitted they are behind the times in this department. Im sure its very good as it stands though

This is common though it seems the auto industry is at a bizarre standard atm of the more you pay the worse the in car tech will be ive noticed

btw this isnt a dig at LR, i love them as a car maker and their vehicles. just stating the facts since we were on the subject... :)

I haven't fully explored the Nav system yet, but just a few points:

- cars with the Nav system have the "mouse pointer" and those without have a dial;

- this means that having "Nav" is about a lot more than just having a sat-nav, it makes a fundamental difference to the car's tech systems and how they are used; and

- just to be clear, the "Nav" option also adds a reverse camera and an HD DVD player.

My own *opinion* based on limited usage of the actual nav but fair usage of the overall interface complete with the "mouse":

- I have had little problem with the "mouse", and in fact find I much much easier than the dial in the Audi (yes very occasionally you overshoot the letter you want when typing, but otherwise I've had little problem);

- the actual nav graphics, to be fair, are pretty awful (I like Audi's best, but I also know Ford, Volvo, Jaguar and Nissan and they all look better) but not in a truly off putting way;

- the system is not particularly user-friendly, in that usually I can operate such things by trial and error but here I have had to consult the manual a couple of times (that said, that may just be complex modern sat-navs, rather than Lexus' in particular);

- to confirm, I have not noticed any "lag"; and

- on the other things, the DVD is sensational (and operates automatically with the parking brake applied) and the reverse camera is superb, including a parallel park assist (which, admittedly, I don't use!)

• Like 1

I've seen the new IS in the showroom here. When I saw the sat-nav I thought the housing should fit the 12.1 inch screen from GS. What do you guys think? If they actually will update the screen from 7 to 12.1 inch, it will be worth the wait I think

I had the precise same thought.

Re the screen, like I say, size isn't everything as it were. It is HD and very, very clear - much clearer than the Volvo or Audi equivalent (although I prefer the latter's looks).

Re the foot brake, there are two advantages: one is specific to the hybrid, that you do want to maintain the brake pedal on when stopped for efficiency; the second is that the DVD screen's appearance depends on whether or not the foot brake is applied. So again, I thought that would irritate me but I see the advantages.

• 3 years later...

I've inherited  a quarter share in my Dad's IS300h Advance which he bought last April and which because of ill-health my Dad only managed to do 1500 miles in it. It might seem daft to volunteer taking ownership of a car I've never driven, but the reviews are so good and the depreciation that my Dad has suffered means that what cost him £30,500 is now worth just £21,500 which is what I have agreed to pay into the estate to buy out my three sisters shares.

I'll be picking the car up from his home mid-September before heading down to the Costa Blanca in it in October. My question is, does it have European cover on the maps as standard? 

Secondly my windscreen mounted TomTom has free updates for life, what's the charges like for updating the Lexus maps?

Thanks for the prompt response Steve.

I think I knew the answer to my question regarding charges before I asked it. The phrase, "got you over a barrel" comes to mind!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links