Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Excessive Road Noise After One Tyre Change

Hi, this is my first post so hope I have done it the right way.

Well I have just purchased my first Lexus IS250 Auto in lovely black colour and all I can say is I LOVE IT!!!

I have been driving BMW all the time but have moved to Lexus after my brother finally persuaded me (he drives the GS300)

Okay so my car has been with me for two months now and used to run like a dream as if I was on water!!! No road noise, no tyre noise nothing what's so ever.......now this has been all spoilt after I had to change one of my tyres (front passenger side).

When I drive I can hear the road all the way up the accelerator pedal...also sometimes the Ouse is pour when I do left turning. I have taken it to the same garage and they say nothing is wrong and that the tyre should wear in with the other tyres in time....well I have driven almost 1000 miles and it is still the same.

Has anyone experienced this?

I have original 3 Continental and one Pirelli part worn which is when all the problem started.

Do you think I should get a Continental again, I can't swap the tyres to see if it is the problem as my rear is wider.

When they guy took the wheel off he tapped it to make it come out...the wheel feel on the hub!!!! Do you think this could be the problem?

Pleas help, any advise will he helpful as I am trying to get the ride back to normal.....sweet and quite.

Thank you

Probably the worse part of these cars is the road noise. Although quieter than most other marques it is one of the things I notice most especially on bad road surfaces. Tyres can make a huge difference. I had two tyres that made it sound like my two front wheel bearings had gone and got noisier under breaking. Once replaced with a different tyre the problem was greatly reduced.

Firstly I would never have odd tyres either side. It's always best to keep matching pairs at very least.

It's unlikely that knocking the hub with the wheel would have damaged it.

Given the problem started when you changed the tyre I'd consider replacing the tyre with the brand you had before as you were happy with those. Ideally, replace both sides.

Carl

Hey Carl,

Thank you for your reply. I shall change both tyres this weekend and hopefully the noise will reduce or even go away, fingers X.

Is that your car interior? Looks very nice!!! That's an SE-L. I couldnt find an SE-L but managed to pick up one with Mark Levison Multi Media. These cars are quite rare to find......there was only 15 available in the UK within my budget 6K-7K......LOL

Hey Carl,

Thank you for your reply. I shall change both tyres this weekend and hopefully the noise will reduce or even go away, fingers X.

Is that your car interior? Looks very nice!!! That's an SE-L. I couldnt find an SE-L but managed to pick up one with Mark Levison Multi Media. These cars are quite rare to find......there was only 15 available in the UK within my budget 6K-7K......LOL

Yes, that is the interior of my is250 SE-l, although I also have the 220d SE with same leather interior.

The ML is rather good, one of the main reasons I wanted the SE-L.

If all else fails, then the ML will certainly disguise all noises with its healthy speaker and amplification setup.

Probably the worse part of these cars is the road noise. Although quieter than most other marques it is one of the things I notice most especially on bad road surfaces. Tyres can make a huge difference. I had two tyres that made it sound like my two front wheel bearings had gone and got noisier under breaking. Once replaced with a different tyre the problem was greatly reduced.

Firstly I would never have odd tyres either side. It's always best to keep matching pairs at very least.

It's unlikely that knocking the hub with the wheel would have damaged it.

Given the problem started when you changed the tyre I'd consider replacing the tyre with the brand you had before as you were happy with those. Ideally, replace both sides.

Carl

I'd agree with that. Always keep them in pairs. Generally, its a bad idea to add a different brand on its own..you are likely to suffer tram-lining as well.

I found Continentals were fine. Had them all round on my 220d...still wearing well now.

The road itself will also be a factor in road noise.Take a motorway with tarmac and concrete sections for example....very audibly different.

Hey

First thing I have notice is that you have two different tire tipes on front wheels, that is the worst thing you can do, and other problem is that there is difference in miles they have done, because they will never get to the same profile, and handeling at breaking is differente.

All the tires should allways be same make and model, at least on front 2, and rear 2, because every tire is making different friction while spinning on the road, so it is wearing different.

Hope this will solw your problem of noise.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all your comments....I guess I will just have to fork out £250 on two Continental this weekend.

Should I get the Wheel Alignment at an extra cost of £35? or would the balancing alone be enough.

Also does anyone know where good I can get my car paint enhanced, for example, clay Bar, Polish, Waxing etc. (Back to Black)

Thanks

Always get wheel alignment (tracking) done and get it done every 6 months or so. False economy not too.

Try Googling Black Circles to get your best price on tyres and fitting.

Thanks Normski, Blackcircles are good and saved me a few pounds too!!!

Shall I just stick to what I had and go for Continentals?

As when I type my REG: LA55 EJE, its comes up with Hankook

Black circles will tell the relative Db ratings for each tyre. Then the choice is up to you.

Nothing particularly wrong with Hankook's...heard some good reports in fact. Popular on trucks for years.

Thank you for your comments....booked in to have the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 225.45.R17 Y94 for the front this weekend....so will let you know how I get on.

Any ideas about how much to pay for alignment?

Thanks

£24+vat front wheel alignment and balance. Jan 2013.

Thats more like it. I guess I will just have to find out what they say when i go to put the tyres on saturday and then maybe take it to a local shop I know that does it for £30

I think where I am buying my tyres from Blackcircle the garage I am having the tyres fitted want to make more money whilst I am there.

Right so I just had a fresh pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT on the front, taken her for a spin and these are my comments:

I highly recommend the Dunlop Sport Max RT. I got two 225.44.17 Y94 XL from blackcircles.com and had them fitted at a local tyre shop for £216. These are meant to be the quitest tyres on the market.

Don't put on part worn tyres, and if you really have to then find a good supplier to give u a pair so same thread, make etc

Have the tracking done, mine cost £60 for the front and back at Elitedirect in Essex. They have a good machine and excellent service. It's like Asda for cars here.LOL

Both my drive and road noise has improved greatly.

Thanks to all those who have commented on this thread...Carl you are a top man...saved me ££ Thanks

Right so I just had a fresh pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT on the front, taken her for a spin and these are my comments:I highly recommend the Dunlop Sport Max RT. I got two 225.44.17 Y94 XL from blackcircles.com and had them fitted at a local tyre shop for £216. These are meant to be the quitest tyres on the market.Don't put on part worn tyres, and if you really have to then find a good supplier to give u a pair so same thread, make etcHave the tracking done, mine cost £60 for the front and back at Elitedirect in Essex. They have a good machine and excellent service. It's like Asda for cars here.LOLBoth my drive and road noise has improved greatly.Thanks to all those who have commented on this thread...Carl you are a top man...saved me ££ Thanks

Sorry it's 225.45.17 (not 44) Typo!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links