Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Shock Absorber Lexus Is 220D - Alternatives?

As far as I know, when you choose the F Sport package you can choose the lowered suspension or only the "look" package. If you want, you can buy the suspension later and lower the car a litte (3-4 cm) but on a price that is not so easy to accept.

After I fitted the other shock absorber, I checked to see if there is any visual difference, but there is none.

1 hour ago, flaviu57 said:

As far as I know, when you choose the F Sport package you can choose the lowered suspension or only the "look" package. If you want, you can buy the suspension later and lower the car a litte (3-4 cm) but on a price that is not so easy to accept.

After I fitted the other shock absorber, I checked to see if there is any visual difference, but there is none.

That is certainly different to the UK then. In the UK you don't get a choice, the F Sport petrol comes with the lowered suspension and the diesel doesn't.

One more thing, that I forgot to ask in the first post. Normally after the shock is refitted to the car, should I do a zero point calibration?

'Cause I saw that the front lights have a different angle now, being higher that before, this causing problems to other drivers. Or is it something else here?

Thanks again,

Hey, thanks again for your answer.

Apparently there is something else there causing the problem because even after the zero point calibration the front lights are still upper than before. So, I will read some more infos before doing anything else.

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers,

• 4 years later...

I know I'm reviving an old topic, but I think the content is relevant

I have a 2009 IS 220d and my left rear shock absorber has leaked so much that speed bumps need to be taken slowly. looking at https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_200901_LEXUS_IS250~350~2xxD_ALE20L-AEFLYW_4804.html (found by putting in my VIN) the replacement part number is 48530-80509 MARK 48530-53270. Googling a lot shows 48530-80509 is the toyota/lexus part number for the Tokico 48530-53270 part number.

Finding that part is near impossible and they're 360 euro a piece at the dealer. So my question is: if I look at the cross reference: https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=48530-80509&mE=on I see a large list of models, if I click I them I see the following part numbers for the rear shock absorber:

48530-80506    MARK 48530-53240
48530-80286    MARK 48530-53130
48530-80290    MARK 48530-53140

Are these compatible as well? That would widen my search range.
If there are other genuine compatible part number, how would I be able to find these?

Other option is that I go for a different brand, then I have do dive into the world of which aftermarket brand is good and which isn't, and if there are compatibility issues there as well.

Any help on getting a new part is much appreciated!

48530-80506 is the part number as listed by Lexuspartsdirect, but they are over £200 each. Personally, I think I would be looking at something like Bilstein B6 as an alternative - considerably cheaper and have a reputation for being high quality.

The Bilsteins are likely to be a bit stiffer, or have less rebound than a standard shock, but they do state that the B6 is fine to use with normal springs.

I guess, in theory the handling balance could be biased more towards oversteer characteristics with a stiffer rear end, but then wouldn't having new OEM fitted on the rear, paired with 10+ years old dampers on the front produce a similar experience?

• 1 month later...

Just to give an update: about a month ago I got bilstein B6 mounted at the back. It's very good to have suspension back, but I also see the downside. For most of the ride there is no difference, so in that sense I'm still happy that I spend just over 400 ont he Bilstein instead of just over 1000 euro for the original. But for short steep speed bumps the back of the car is more jumpy and less comfortable, enough to let traction control kick in sometimes. Makes perfect sense for sport damping (they're also suitable for lowered suspension), but the car doesn't feel any more sporty, so there's no upside besides the lower price.

In hindsight I maybe should've gone for different aftermarket dampers, but in practice the difference is small, and I'm still happy I saved 600 euros on a car with a 8k euro value if the lifetime of the dampers is good.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links