Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Dipping Rear View Mirror?

Sorry - incoming questionfest:

According to wikipedia, the IS300 in the states had an automatic dipping rear view mirror (amongst other goodies).

Has anybody managed to get hold of one of these, or was it an option in the UK?

It also mentions HID headlights - has anybody managed to get hold of a set of these and fit them? How are they different from the standard headlights?

you can mod the rear view mirror as well the side mirror auto dim (just connecting a power source)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-GS-300-Breaking-Auto-Dimming-Rear-View-Mirror-Excellent-/281167319083?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item4176e0d02b

there's aftermarket HID kit online ( the IS200 limited edition had HID pre-install ) not sure the aftermarket kit will let you pass the MOT.

only 50/50 knowledge i might be wrong :eerrrmm:

Thanks for the mirror link - I'll have a look. Do you know if anybody has done that mod? Is the wiring already in the roof lining or would I have to run a new cable up?

I fitted some aftermarket HIDs to my Calibra - simple job and the improvement was amazing, however, the Calibra has 'projector' lights with a defined cut off by the bonnet, so they didn't dazzle oncoming traffic. I'm not sure that the IS200 lights would do the same?

They were also dead simple to remove again for the MOT, although I know of plenty of people who have had their cars pass an MOT with them fitted.

You will have to run wiring yourself for mirror, if you have sunroof use the ignition live for that and the earth.The is300 over here also had the auto dipping mirror.

Regarding the headlights, to get the is300 hid headlights to fit also involves modding the bodywork behind the lights,

I'd suggest if you're going to try and fit options from a 300, you'd be better off just getting a 300. Lexus aren't known for making retrofits easy, as the wiring and control units aren't there for stuff that wasn't fitted on lower models.

getting the IS300's head light to work in the IS200 is not impossible but I read its really tricky. I just scooped the IS300 and forgot about it cus by the time I had bought an IS200 and tried to fit chromatic wing mirrors from the 300, auto dipping rear mirriors, maybe LSD and arm rest, HID's, and a supercharger for more power it would have cost me the same or even more money compared to just buying the 300 and most talk about supercharging but forget it might even be worser on fuel than an IS300 auto due to it sapping more power from the engine to make more power then the hassle of telling your insurance about all these mods and the eye watering premium they will quote you because they hear the word 'moddified'. I saved my self the time, money and hassle and went 300. all spec'd up including 18" wheels and sport body kits.

• Like 1

Depends on the tester. Cars need an accumulation of "points" to fail an MOT, and failing headlights don't acrue all those points on their own. So if you have a nice tester, he can still pass it for having working headlights, even though technically, points aside, it should fail on beam pattern. No IS200 will pass a beam test correctly with HID's in - the reflectors just aren't the right ones for such high intensity bulbs. Look at an IS300 reflector - noticeably different than the one in an IS200

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links