Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bad Start To My Foray Into Lexus Ownership

Well I collected my 2010 IS 200d IS-l yesterday afternoon (21k miles and just serviced/mot'd).

Drove it 10 miles home and parked it on the drive - noticed difficulty in getting it to lock, but after several attempts it finally did.

Got up this morning to find that it wouldn't unlock, and neither fob would do anything. Used the key but that just set the alarm off, disturbing all my neighbours. Phoned the dealership who suggested a flat Battery and eventually they agreed to send a mechanic up to see if he could solve it. No luck, as it just did the same, but using the key he opened it up (alarm blaring) and managed to start it.

He's now taken it back to the dealership (10 miles away) to put the Battery on charge, and I've been told I'll get it back tomorrow. So it's a day without transport and I'm not that impressed.

wroughtironron:

Out of curiosity have u bought a new mobile or have u changed/upgraded wifi in the house I'm wondering if ur getting interference from those devices... I have heard of other user having issue with locking car in built up area due to loads of interfere form mobiles etc

• Like 1

I also wonder if it is interference rather than the Battery. If the car started that doesn't sound like a flat Battery. It would be bad luck but does sound like the remotes are being interfered with by a signal on the same channel/frequencyl. When you get the car back if it happens again open the car with the key and start the car as the mechanic did. Drive round the block and see if you can lock the car with the remote. If it works as it should then that rules out the Battery and pretty much confirms it's a wifi issue.

It's happened to me twice in 5 years when parked away from home. The first time it took me an age just to work out how to use the key to open the door!

In a way it might be better if it is the Battery, trying to isolate the interfering device could be a challenge.

Please let us know how you get on.

wroughtironron:

Out of curiosity have u bought a new mobile or have u changed/upgraded wifi in the house I'm wondering if ur getting interference from those devices... I have heard of other user having issue with locking car in built up area due to loads of interfere form mobiles etc

Hi,

I don't have a mobile at the moment, and the Wi-Fi has been unchanged for a couple of years - the dealership think it's the Battery, as both fobs wouldn't be likely to fail at the same time ?

I also wonder if it is interference rather than the battery. If the car started that doesn't sound like a flat battery. It would be bad luck but does sound like the remotes are being interfered with by a signal on the same channel/frequencyl. When you get the car back if it happens again open the car with the key and start the car as the mechanic did. Drive round the block and see if you can lock the car with the remote. If it works as it should then that rules out the battery and pretty much confirms it's a wifi issue.

It's happened to me twice in 5 years when parked away from home. The first time it took me an age just to work out how to use the key to open the door!

In a way it might be better if it is the battery, trying to isolate the interfering device could be a challenge.

Please let us know how you get on.

I'll certainly not let him leave tomorrow without confirming that I can lock/unlock the car. I don't live in a built-up area, but in a small village on the west yorks moors. I'm not aware of my neighbours having issues - as the car is new to me, I don't know if the fob batteries have been going weak, but I think that the car hasn't been used for at least a couple of months. The mechanic did say that they test batteries before releasing cars and that mine was ok.

Ok, probably is the Battery then. BTW, it's not just wifi that can muck up the remotes, any wireless device can do it. Ive heard baby monitors and wireless door bells cited before. Fingers crossed it's just the Battery and you can get on with enjoying your new car!

• Like 1

Well, you know your fobs are good now. Get a new pair now from eBay so you are ready. Or, if you are really organised put in a reminder somewhere for about 12 months from now.

Also, keep an eye on that Battery. It should be ok given your MY but you never know...we have had some hard winters recently. Check the terminal connections are tight.

• Like 1

Well, the car was delivered back to me this morning after being trickle charged overnight and new batteries in the fobs.

Pleased to report that it does now lock and unlock as it should. :shifty:

That's good news, bit of a shame the dealer didn't think to do that and save you the hassle, but glad all sorted now. Enjoy the car!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links