Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A quarter of a million miles on one water pump says it all for Lexus quality. Adam, did you encounter any particular difficulties doing this job, for instance, getting the crankshaft pulley off? I will have to replace my timing belt fairly soon on my mk4, along with water pump, tensioners, etc

Crank pulley was a pain in the backside to get off

You will certainly need a puller

Rest of it is straight forward but very time consuming.

Also my car has upto 200000 got FSH most of which is Lexus but I don't understand when the waterpump is due to be changed on the service intervals. I would have thought it would have been done at least once before now

Paradoxicly it is not the belt that fails,usually the tensioners or more importantly the water pump that goes and causes the belt to strip its teeth.This happened on my mark 1 just after its second belt change @ 122k .I would definitly change the belt , water pump and tensioners at 120k after that experience.Water pump is not down as a service interval renewal but experience's suffered by myself and other members point to a second cambelt interval renewal.

• Like 1

Belt was in a worn condition but didn't look completely FUBARed

However it will always be in a better condition than the valves and your pocket will be if it snaps

Just get it done :P

Probably should,

200k on my car, belt was changed at 128k 7 years ago, no mention of water pump renewal, so I assume the water pump is original, and there's 74k on the belt. I have read posts about the water pump seizing.

Lexus Glasgow charged me £325 a year ago.

That's quite alright especially for Lexus. My neighbour had his belt changed for his '03 Passat for £275 at the local garage.

Maybe I should phone Toyota Helensburgh and see what they charge.

May I ask if you bought original or aftermarket parts?

I'm asking as this is a task I need to do during winter. Several aftermarket belt kits are available but don't know which waterpump to get if not just the OEM.

I got a full SKF kit with both pulleys

The only thing not in the kit was 13540-50011 which is the tube shaped tensioner

Also I have fitted a circoli waterpump which is aftermarket and NOT built to OEM specs as to be built to OEM spec the new waterpump would have plastic impellers. The circolli waterpump has metal impellers.

Also it comes with SKF bearings inside the water pump (allegedly)

Well back in 2006 when my mark1 had its failure as mentioned earlier it cost £850 to replace the items you have mentioned apart from fan belt but it had tensioner and idler pulleys replaced,believe the cost is a little cheaper now. My LS mark 1V had only done 19k the timing belt was done because it was over 10 years old in fact it was 14 years old and the cars service history did not show any replacement obviously the other parts were not worn so were not replaced.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links