Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to ask a few questions about the GS450h.

I am interested in buying a GS450h around a 2007 model, but would like to know how reliable they are.

I have owned several high end cars over recent years, such as a BMW 535i, Audi A8, BMW 745i, etc, but I am fed up with cars developing faults or breaking down. I have had gearbox issues on some cars, two of which had to have reconditioned at huge costs.

I have read about the GS450h and all reviews say they are outstanding cars which just don't break down.

Is this true? Are the CVT gearboxes reliable? how many miles do they usually last before replaced/reconditioning?

What are the weak points (every car has them from experience)?

As it is a hybrid, is there anything I need to look out for? Does this make them more unreliable than the GS300 or GS430, for example?

Is the fuel economy as good as claimed? My hilly mixed driving route to work sounds ideal for a hybrid. On the motorway, does the electric power have any affect? I can't imagine it would as at continuous speeds, I would expect that the electric motor will be redundant. Will it just be the economy of a 3.5 litre petrol on the motorway?

Also, how does the driving experience compare to say, a 5 series BMW? (I like the way BMWs drive!!).

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I am buying the right car.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hayne

Hi Hayne, I run a 2006 GS450h as my working car, current mileage is almost 180,000 of which I have covered 160,000. To date no faults of any kind ! never broken down or caused a moments worry. The car still looks and drives like new which given the complexity is astounding. Ave MPG is 36 over every type of roads making this the cheapest nice car I have owned by a huge margin. And it still makes me grin with the performance every day.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. Like Tony my car is fairly high mileage - now on 153k and still very smooth,quiet,powerful and comfortable. Overall mixed driving at 33mpg I am not quite matching Tony but think that is pretty good. If you do mostly motorway you will be able to beat that. I have had no issues at all other than normal servicing and replacing rear calipers discs and pads recently but that's to be expected. I would go for it..

• Like 1

Many thanks for your advice, Tony and Kevin.

I went out and bought one this weekend. It's an immaculate GS450h SE on a '57 plate, black with black interior, one owner from new, full Lexus history.. It's absolutely beautiful and drives perfect. There is not a thing wrong with it (I'm not used to that with owning German cars!!!).

I bought it discounted with a tyre pressure monitor fault, which the seller couldn't fix. Got it home and read the manual and its all reset fine now! (just needed initialising).

I travelled home on the motorway with the cruise at 80mph and got 37mpg, which I am pretty impressed with. Went on a country road journey on very light throttle and got 42mpg, which is incredible!! What a car.

And, of course had to try the Hybrid PWR button. Definitely the fastest car I have ever owned (much quicker than my recent BMW 745i).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Giles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought a 2007 model and it has relatively low millage at 50K. I have noticed when breaking and accelerating, and the hybrid motor kicks in and out, there is a high pitched electrical noise. It s not very loud and you have to tune our ears in to hear it, but once you have you become quite aware of it. Is this normal? My wife has a RX Hybrid and I don't notice a similar high pitched whine on her car. I don't want to take it back to the Lexus dealer for him to say its normal!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links