Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent Questions Ls400 Series Iv

hi all

Close to buying a series 4 LS 400, have driven the car and would like advice on the following issues. Please respond, if only to one or two of these

1. Replacing sidelight bulbs - easy job or is it a drama/expensive job?

2. Heated seats front and rear - are they designed to work only when someone is sitting in the seat?

3 Dynamic handling Pack - this car seems to drive better than the previous one I drove. The steering seems tighter etc. Mixed views on DHP?

4. Were LS400s ever fitted with run flat tyres? I forgot to check but there was a full sized spare so assumed not runflats. I hate the whole concept of runflats and would not buy a BMW on pronciple, despite having loved my 3004 330 D

5. I noticed some surface corrosion on the front suspension tops (purely cosmetic) and some on the bulkhead looking down the back of the engine. Anything to worry about? It looked purely cosmetic but do not like corrosion of any kind on my cars and would have to deal with it.

6. I was unable to look underneath the car - should I worry about corrosion? Although there is much talk about reliability of these cars, there do seem to be a lot of them breaking for spares.

7. The badges front and rear are scruffy. Easy to replace? I would be very grateful for any help, even if not on all points. It is urgent, because if I buy it, I will probably do so tomorrow

8. The cruise control did not seem to work although the light came on - any ideas?

9 I intended to check that the engine management light came on and went off. No lights on after starting. What does the light look like?

thanks in advance

hi,sidelight replacement relatively easy front or back,may have to take a few bits off

im sure the seats have to have someone sat on them,sometimes they do take a while to get going

dhp is matter of taste,its only bigger wheels stiffer suspension,some people like the original better for comfort/road noise

don't think they fitted with runflats at the factory

pretty common to see surface rust on the ring on top shocker it usually rubs off,i saw it often when i was looking,dont know about bulkhead rust,thou if it surface should be ok they not known to rust,the thing is with these cars whilst alot are owned by enthusiasts,some are bought as a cheap runabout cos they reliable,and soon as a big bill comes up they scrap them,in the real world they not worth much more than £1500,its easy to spend that on it if suspension worm

don,t know about badges,would'nt of thought too difficult

cc i don't know prob not used much

i think the management light is the square one with red circle,if they all go out after starting,everthing ok

hi all

Close to buying a series 4 LS 400, have driven the car and would like advice on the following issues. Please respond, if only to one or two of these

1. Replacing sidelight bulbs - easy job or is it a drama/expensive job? - have not yet had to replace any of mine yet, they seem to last for ever

2. Heated seats front and rear - are they designed to work only when someone is sitting in the seat? - As BigJaps response

3 Dynamic handling Pack - this car seems to drive better than the previous one I drove. The steering seems tighter etc. Mixed views on DHP? - I changed to my LS with DHP from a Mk1 GS Sport which had been tweaked and the LS is much better to drive at speed with less 'wallowing' and a slightly lower ride and stiffer suspension

4. Were LS400s ever fitted with run flat tyres? I forgot to check but there was a full sized spare so assumed not runflats. I hate the whole concept of runflats and would not buy a BMW on pronciple, despite having loved my 3004 330 D - The DHP spec cars were as far as I understand fitted with Bridgestone Potenza 245/50/17 Run flat tyres. I have retained these on mine and really don't think its a problem albeit they are heavier and harder and probably will last a bit longer than a non-runflat tyre. Also good if you run LPG 'cause you can loose the spare

5. I noticed some surface corrosion on the front suspension tops (purely cosmetic) and some on the bulkhead looking down the back of the engine. Anything to worry about? It looked purely cosmetic but do not like corrosion of any kind on my cars and would have to deal with it. - Mine has a small amount of surface corrosion which generally rubs off. I am going to treat and repaint mine as everything else under the bonnet is pristine.

6. I was unable to look underneath the car - should I worry about corrosion? Although there is much talk about reliability of these cars, there do seem to be a lot of them breaking for spares. - Despite what you might think salt does attack these cars just like any other car. Problems I was advised to look out for by my Lexus expert is front chassis and suspension corrosion especially the front ARB, the air con pipes that pass at low level at the bottom front of the rad can corrode and at the rear end the rear axle beam and suspension mounts. I was also advised to stear clear of a car that has spent most of its life by the sea. The one i bought came from Brighton!! but is very sound underneath.

7. The badges front and rear are scruffy. Easy to replace? I would be very grateful for any help, even if not on all points. It is urgent, because if I buy it, I will probably do so tomorrow - badges are easily replaced. Best trick is to carefully heat the badge with a hairdryer and then pull some fine guage fishing line carefully under it and if you are patient it should come away with just a little adhesive left behind which is easily removed with some stick-stuff remover.

8. The cruise control did not seem to work although the light came on - any ideas? - take the car out on a quiet stretch of straight road where you can play around with your speed up to say 60 MPH and try it out. Mine works by tapping the stubby lever down till the dash light comes on then take it up to the speed you want to keep to and push the button at the end and it should lock on to your selected speed. I seem to recall reading that it only works above a certain speed probably over 30 MPH or something like that.

9 I intended to check that the engine management light came on and went off. No lights on after starting. What does the light look like? - the engine management light appears on the dash as a yellow engine icon

thanks in advance

High Hugh - here is my threepenny worth (see my comments against your post). I too have the DHP model and think its great.

Hope my input is of help.

Not a lot to add really but sidelight removal is easy, lift the bonnet and remove the one fixing screw for the light then give it a good tug forward to release the plastic clips.

Cruise control inoperative, make sure the selector is in D not 4th as this will prevent the CC from operating.

Hugh, Very good choice of car. I can help you regarding replacing the side lights as I've just replaced mine with LED ones which work fine. To get to them is easy. Undo the small 'philps' screw on the top of the indicator lense, and then pull the said lense out toward the SIDE of the car. You have to be a bit bold with it.. It will then pop off from a plastic retaining clip and a small plastic guide pin above it. Then, on the headlamp unit, it's undo 4 x 10mm bolts (one hidden at the top/ side) and pull out the headlamp, which can be a bit fiddly. You then have access to the leads for the sidelight. The s/lights have the 'wedge' type fitting. Hope this helps.

Others on here seem to have answered all your other queries. Enjoy.

Many thanks to those who responded. I needed some feedback and reassurance before taking the plunge. I managed to get hold of the previous owner (for ten years), not easy as his number is unlisted, and that conversation also reassured me about the car. Long story short, I bought the car and brought it home this evening from Manchester. It is my first time in a Lexus and I will provide my first impressions in a new post. Thanks again chaps

well the cruise control works just fine.The simple expedient of using the instruction manual cleared up how to use it

"The Instruction manual?" You've lost me there, what are they?

For the average male of the species, the instruction manual is the final resort when every other, and I mean every other, avenue has been explored. The time taken and effort expended exploring every other avenue before resorting to the instruction manual are completely irrelevant as this system is driven by testosterone and is infallible. It is also versatile, and may be used for cars, operation of new power tools and household appliances,, furniture assembly and navigation

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links