Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Slight Head Gasket Problem

Hi i have a 2000 is200 it has 12 mot and 6tax good allround con but after the mot i have been advised the head needs doing soon and i have no idea if i should sell it cheap to someone who can do it or how much do you think it would cost to do as it is only my spare car so dont want to spean anything much on it now thanks

Does the car exhibit any signs of HGF? For example coolant loss, overheating,water in oil?

How did the garage come to this conclusion during an MOT?

I would before doing anything get a second opinion including a compression test or cylinder leakage test.

Yeah what Steve said.

Head gasket failures on these engines are very few and far between. In fact I don't re call ever hearing if one fail :whistling:

So how did they come to this conclusion and what are your symptoms then? Head gaskets are either in place or gone, as in the gasket is either doing it's job and keeping the oil and coolant apart or it's not and they're mixing! I'm sure they didn't take the head apart and examine the gasket during an mot :lol:

Hi thanks for getting back so quick,and no they did not find it on the mot my car guy had problems getting it through ie smoking and losing coolant but put some thing in rad to seal it but he did say it might need fixing soon and as i said i dont really want to do anything so might just get rid of it .how much do you think i could get with that in mind seems sealed at moment though

So it was failing the emissions test? That would indicate burning oil rather than coolant wouldn't it as coolant will just steam off? Also you could be losing coolant from various sources such as the radiator, pipes or water pump. Is the car maintained and serviced regularly and what mileage is it on?

I just find it hard to believe it's the HG that's the issue

Hi yes thats what it did fail on first time with pure white smoke but after rad thing all ok its something that seals little holes in and around the head so i am told and the car has some history and has just had engine oil and filter and also air filter changed ,mileage 137.000

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links