Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Iphone Bluetooth Car Kit. Grom Still The Way To Go?

Hi All, I researched this a good while back and Grom appeared to be the way to go. But I was mainly looking at Ipod connectivity back then and her current hands free is hopeless.

Car is an is300 sport cross with pop up nav screen in the dash, built in changer as I'm sure you know, we have Iphone 4S and 5 plus a 4th gen nano and an old third gen ipod.

The Grom.com web site appears to suggest "NO navigation" or similar in the comparability chart for the car, and I can't see anything to confirm 100% that anything older Iphone 3GS will be compatible. Although I may be looking in the wrong place.

I have emailed Grom uk to confirm but until they reply can members here add anything further?

Apologies if this is a common question but I want to be sure the Xmas gift is a success. ;)

Cheers.

I don't quite understand what your question is, but I'll have a go at what I think you are asking:

• Does anyone have any compatibility issues with the 5s? I'm not sure about the 5S, but my girlfriend has an Iphone 5 and it works fine with my Grom unit, when used with the apple lightning adapter. Most of the time, however, my iPod classic (6th gen) is used with my Grom unit.
  • I presume the Grom software is upgradeable? Yes it is, via a Micro SD card.
My Grom unit is also equipped with the Bluetooth adapter, and I use it for phone conversations and streaming online music from my Nexus 4. My car doesn't have built-in navigation, so I can't comment on the Grom unit's compatibility in that area.

Hope that helps.

I've got this touchscreen head unit in my 300, but they're about £500 so depends on how much you're looking to spend. It's a kenwood DNX5220BT.

D71C8619-448F-4C62-9175-78D946B6FB78_zps

A9E2F7CB-E557-4F45-BAB3-F0532D824F36_zps

6035C073-8EE7-4280-BF90-24F4A084D1D6_zps

19C616A5-502D-4794-BA58-C4738562F156_zps

A841C4E8-698D-4A1B-8202-3DD5FD71E9F9_zps

172F302E-784C-4D87-A422-10330CBAEE42_zps

46BBDAD6-3B97-447A-BDEF-195A711E5791_zps

EDEC6E84-032A-4E82-935E-56AF27AC7115_zps

It basically does everything you could ever want.

Radio, SAT NAV, phone, DVD + CD player, TV, I pod/iPhone connection either Bluetooth or charger cable which charges. USB connection. It remembers your phone so connects via Bluetooth instantly.

Everything on your phone is accessible via the head unit. Contacts, SMS, music, videos.

It's not voice activated but your contact list comes up on the screen and you can save 6 quick dial numbers so it's just one button press to call on the head unit.

It's fantastic to be honest. :)

I was gonna get a double din touch screen in a IS i bought, i actually had money put aside for it but when i got one i found one with factory navi and liked it so i decided on a GROM type device as i wouldnt gain anything because my car already had navi built in anyway..... (except a reverse camera but not fussed on that)

so my advice to the OP who also has navi is get a GROM type device. they really are brilliant. I got a Yatour though they seem cheaper for the same thing?

You can rewire the wires from your navi plug in the pins of the GROM device connector or you can buy a splitter and your navi will work fine

The 3Gs works best with my yatour bc it was a older IOS, its the later gen iphones ive had issues with because of the apple keep updating the IOS

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links