Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do I Change A Side Light?

I'm having some problems with changing the bulb on the driver's side side light. It says in the manual remove the screw and remove? hmmm not too sure- it seems fastened in very well it seems an easy job but i don't want to break the lens :crybaby: . Has anyone got any advice? Thanks

:blink:

• 5 years later...
I guess it's different on an LS 430. Has anyone changed the LS430 sidelight as I can't see it mentioned in either of the manuals.

Many thanks!

Mike

I think anything to do with the front lights is always a dealer thing. It probably stops people blowing them selves up by fiddling with the ballasts.

Ok, thanks, well that explains why I can't see how to do it so now I don't feel quite so silly for asking in the first place.

...however, I'd still quite like to know how....the idea of paying a dealer to change a side light, I have to say that rankles slightly.

Mike

This shows Ed China taking the headlamp unit out, Starts at about 5:40, doesnt show a lot of detail but it`ll give you an idea how it comes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzMYT22PBeE...feature=related

I'm having some problems with changing the bulb on the driver's side side light. It says in the manual remove the screw and remove? hmmm not too sure- it seems fastened in very well it seems an easy job but i don't want to break the lens :crybaby: . Has anyone got any advice? Thanks

:blink:

And as for the Ls430 headlight removal, that was covered here:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...mp;#entry670216

Just follow the link to:

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/LS_01-...ents/index.html

Repair Manual ( - 2003.7 ) / Body / Headlight / Removal

Page B0-8

Ok, thanks, well that explains why I can't see how to do it so now I don't feel quite so silly for asking in the first place.

...however, I'd still quite like to know how....the idea of paying a dealer to change a side light, I have to say that rankles slightly.

Mike

Mike

its fairly easy once you know how - 2 minute job - the bitch is finding the bulb when you don't know where it is :rolleyes:

On the drivers side

• remove the fuse box thingy which is above the lights - just undo screws and push aside
  • looking from the windscreen towards the back of the light you will see a big round unit which is the self leveling system - do not remove this its a b*st*rd to get back in (I know I did it). the side light is below this unit on the left hand side at about 5 oclock.
  • the bulb actually goes in at the side right angles to the reflector and not how you would think i.e. thru the back of the reflector like most bulbs.

Thanks Sparky, I'll give it a try.

Talking about headlights, funny thing happened this morning. When I stopped, I noticed that my left headlight wasn't lit - but no warning on the dash. I went round to the front of the car and sure enough it's out. So I switched them off and then on again and it lit fine and has been fine ever since; strange!?!

Anyone had any experience of this?

Kind regards,

Mike

Thanks Sparky, I'll give it a try.

Talking about headlights, funny thing happened this morning. When I stopped, I noticed that my left headlight wasn't lit - but no warning on the dash. I went round to the front of the car and sure enough it's out. So I switched them off and then on again and it lit fine and has been fine ever since; strange!?!

Anyone had any experience of this?

Kind regards,

Mike

That does sound like you have a headlight bulb on the way out. The HID bulbs do tend to last substantially longer than regular fillament bulbs but they do tend to cost alot more. It is worth replacing them in pairs as sometimes there will be too much of a variation in colour between old bulbs and new ones. I have seen this quite alot on old Merc S class cars.

You wouldn't get a warning either as the system can't check HID bulbs like fillament bulbs as it can't pass a very small current through it to see if it makes a circuit. There is just a small ball of gas which does not conduct small amounts of electricity.

Mike

its fairly easy once you know how - 2 minute job - the bitch is finding the bulb when you don't know where it is :rolleyes:

On the drivers side

• remove the fuse box thingy which is above the lights - just undo screws and push aside
  • looking from the windscreen towards the back of the light you will see a big round unit which is the self leveling system - do not remove this its a b*st*rd to get back in (I know I did it). the side light is below this unit on the left hand side at about 5 oclock.
  • the bulb actually goes in at the side right angles to the reflector and not how you would think i.e. thru the back of the reflector like most bulbs.

P.S. instructions are for the drivers side - bulb will be at 7 oclock on passenger side.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links