Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

My name is Petr and I just moved to the UK after university for my first job and I want to buy my first car. I hope that it's okay to post here like this if I don't own anything yet.

Since I've always liked Lexus GS, especially the previous generation, I thought that due to the alleged reliability, it could be a great first car that I will enjoy.

I was looking for GS430 as a V8 has always been my dream but if it's not a good choice, 300 will do. Consumption doesn't matter, my mileage won't be high, I just want a car that I will like.

I'm a total newbie, never bought a used car, neither has anyone in my family so I would be very grateful if you could give me any kind of advice on my first car, what to look for, reasonable pricing (what's too cheap to be in a good condition or what's overpriced) and other stuff like that.

Thanks a lot for everything!

Petr

Hello,

You are most welcome to join the LOC even if you do not as yet own a Lexus :)

The main point to look for on any used car is condition and a Full Service History.

Give it a good test drive.

If you do see one or two that look right post up links on here and we will advise accordingly.

Usual places to look are eBay and autotrader.

Bear in mind that cars bought from a dealer are covered by law with a short warranty but a private sale although prices may be cheaper are not.

The GS300 are more abundant than the GS430 but below is a selection

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/lexus/gs/postcode/sw1a2aa/radius/1500/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/sort/default

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I will be buying my car in March so I'm trying to do as much research about it as possible.

Do you think it's better to rather buy a younger 300 than say a year older 430? Does it make a difference?

I found one on autotrader - GS430 from 2006 with 92700 miles for 6000 pounds but for some reason I'm unable to paste a link here. The owner claims last service in June 2013 with all brake discs and pads changed, both rear calipers, oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter and gear oil changed as well. Is something like that trustworthy?

Also do these cars have any weaknesses that could make their ownership a nightmare like older Volvo S80 T6's gearbox for example? I mean Lexus is renowned for reliability but it's really important to know for someone inexperienced like me. What should I look for specifically?

Thank again :-)

If you are a little nervous about buying a used Lexus my advice would be to try and buy a car with a full service history, ideally a Lexus one. If you find a car you like check the service history with Lexus (they can access their data base across the country) if it all checks out at least you know it's been properly serviced.

Sadly, unless you know the person selling the car it's difficult to know who is trustworthy, your going to need to use you own judgement on that one unless you can take someone along who is more experienced at buying used cars.

It might be worth ringing your Local Lexus dealer and ask if they have any Part Ex. GS430's or know of any due in across their network. The price will be higher but you will get at least a three month warranty if not more. They do sell older models, I was in Bristol Lexus a few weeks ago and they had an 06 IS250 for £6995 with around 80K.

Best of luck with your search.

• 3 weeks later...

Rear brake calipers have been an issue with the 05 onwards GS line with them seizing up on the slider pins, but as you stated, they've been replaced not so long ago so thats not a problem. Another 1 to look out for is dashboard creaks from the bottom corners of the windscreen on passengers side and drivers (just behind the speaker grills). It doesnt hurt the car or affect it in any way its just damn annoying! There is cheap fixes for this (felt cloth stuffed down the back of the dash) but at the dealer itll cost you a lot as they'll remove the dahboard to fix the issue! Not a big worry though as said it's not a critical fault in any way! Other than that I cant think of anything else really!

Just make sure you start the car from cold and check all fluid levels under the bonnet (oil, coolant, brake fluid, powersteering (if its hydraulic and not electric like the 450h is as that doesnt have fluid). Check the oil filler cap for any thick milky like residue as that could be a sign of coolant in the oil which is not good at all.

Look through the alloy wheels at the brake calipers and see how the thick the brake pads are, if theres only a very thin portion left then they will require replacement soon.

Tyres, check how much tread is left, get under the car if poss and check the condition of the tyre from very inner to very outter, as if worn more on 1 side of the tyre than the other it could suggest alignment issues or suspension component wear.

Check the exhaust pipe(s) from front to back and see if you can see any rust or corrosion, the rear silencers are over £400 and unless you have a stainless system made you can only get them from lexus!

Make sure you press every button in the car, all interior lights, external lights (get a friend to help) all seat belts pull out fully and retract and click into the buckle and unclip again and check if the belts are frayed as failing seat belt is an MOT failure. Seats move back and forth, up down, lumbar adjustment, heated operation and cooled (if fitted), electronic steering wheel adjustment up down, in out, make sure the A/C blows ice cool and the heater blows really hot, CD changer operation, sat nav operation (make sure it shows your current position on screen). Open the little hideaway button compartment to the right of the steering wheel and push buttons, make sure EVERYTHING works, as could be expensive if it doesnt. Theyre pretty good with their electronics though so I should of thought it'll be fine but check any way!

When driving the car make sure it drives nice and smooth and has no knocking noises, squeeks, rattles or bangs from underneith or engine bay, make sure it accelerates hard and that the brakes are effective and do not judder through the peddle or steering wheel, check the cruise control while your at it!

I'm pretty sure I've missed a few things out but you can get the general idea of what to look out for. It's best to go with a friend as I did when I bought mine as you can easily get overwhelmed by all the gadgetry and pure luxury of the car and not look into the finite details, your frind can perhaps look around while your working out the gadgets :winky:

Happy car hunting :driving:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. Went to see one GS300 and LS430 near London but unfortunately they weren't as good as I expected. Bad bodywork was one thing but LS430 showed engine management warning light with the dealer not being able to explain plus parking sensors weren't working and the GS300 was last serviced in 2012 and overally in a bad condition. I guess it will take more looking...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links