Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I got is220d sel its seems to drink a bit even used bg244 it started to give 30+mpg but now 22mpg.gearbox is gonna b replaced this wk as it jumped out from 2nd gear @ crunched from 1st to 2nd. Is this the reason?????it drives fine no power loss.where did they get there figures from like 50mpg on motorway I never got that,is it u have to drive at 50mph like an old lady.will wait @ c after gearbox replaced.has any 1 else got that mpg like 55mpg lol after Will have egr cleaned

I've not been on here for a good long while but it's interesting that the posts are still the same.

I had a 2006 220d SE from new, it never achieved any better than high 20s. To this day, it is the only car I have owned that has broke down twice in its first year!

If you are buying a car for its MPG then stay well away from the IS diesel!

Guest bigbullhead

I found that out after coming off a remapped 1.9 cdti Astra at 46mph am disappointed with the Lexus and I think with diesels trying to be ultra clean with cats and DPF's and egr valves I think until they come up with something better regarding engines I will after 20 years a deisel man I think it maybe petrol in the future :(

• 2 weeks later...

Same here 2008 is220d like new inside out/onlt 84k.. but mpg? 22town only mixed? 26-28 motorway? 36 was the highest I could achieve on 6th gear 80 miles/hour on cruise mode!!!..tried 5th but wouldn't go above 33.8-33.9 mpg !! ..so getting 50mpg its something wrong with the car or the person who posted :-d

Wow the mpg range for all these engines is massive. I do a lot of short journeys and town driving and I always average around 36mpg. I use premium diesel with an additive. 36mpg for a diesel isn't good but seems to be good compared to most others

Did u clean egr?????? I need to clean it @ will c if it makes difference this 50mpg is a myth or u got to drive at 60 to 65 mph once I cleaned egr will post if made any difference our mileage is mostly local

EGR is not difficult to clean. When its off the car take it apert and check that the piston is working properly and most importantly....is seating back properly. If the closed end of the device is corroded (not that common) it will be pretty obvious.

If its not seating properly the air/fuel mixture will be out of wack and she won't run right.

I was surprised how much better mine felt to drive after cleaning....but it was really sooted up.

It is important to clean the port into the engine block too. Use a hoover nozzle to suck up the crud as you remove it. A long handled flat blade screwdriver works well.

New EGR valve last month even though the old one was still in good nick/ came along with the car when bought it in November last. Used Dipetane for each diesel fill up; yesterday was in Newry NI and hoped ill fing Archoil products but fssss unlikely its ROI or NI still not UK looks like:-d but I did found Miller so ill go with that for the moment...hopefully my mpg will raise a bit though my driving style (afterreading some treads) its a bit spirty I could say but Hello, if wanted drive like a old pap I was to buy Fiat500 and not Lexus 2.2l right?

Yeah, I live in Dublin by the way. . .

I will clean egr @ will c mpg afterwards, after reading forums it should make a difference or will drive like an old paps lol as I got a heavy foot,always had mercs 320cdi plus I like fast cars,I always liked evo or wrx but missis dont like it.

Just to say 50mpg is possible! From Norfolk to South Yorkshire (A17 and M1) I averaged 50.4 mpg! I don't know how as I have only been able to just get 47 now, still not bad I suppose. Car has done 98,000 too!

Ok, new updates: yesterday drove motorway mileage, 200 to be more precise, after I used Miller additive and at the end of the journey I've got a staggering 43.6mpg !! I even wanted to take a pick of it. Can't even imagine what Archoil mite do if I can get my hands on it. . .so looks like it is possible to get close mpg to what other people posted in this thread. I'm just over the moon.

• Like 1

Don't these additives just increase the cetane value slightly, and a bit more lube? Tried Millers in my IS220d and saw no difference under normal circumstances, except first few fills when I was conscious of it and driving carefully

Hi all just cleaned egr valve what a mission to.do first coulnt open rear bolts once opened dropped bolt underneath in tray had to take underneath engine tray off also dropped gasket aswell , egr was blocked with carbon @ put everything back ok was getting 22 mpg now 35-39 mpg plus its put life into car now .

That's great news, it must have been really clogged up! You were unlucky, normally it's a 30-40 minute job top start to finish, easy next time for you!

It's a shame that it's not easy to take the inlet manifold off as I'm sure this will be clogged up as well

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links