Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I recently watched a review of the new GS450h by Fifth Gear and what occurred to me was this:

Why would the car be compared to the BMW 535d and other diesels, when BMW make and sell a hybrid in the UK, I believe Audi make a A6 hybrid too?

There were references to the car being £50k and too expensive. I specced a 5 series hybrid (sad I know) to £60k! The Audi I think is a 2 litre so not sure it can compare, although journalists will.

Jason Plato thought the car was good though.

It would be useful to compare like for like for a better comparison, which might make things a little more interesting.

Owners of this model, being objective, did you consider the BMW or other prestige hybrids before buying your GS?

I recently watched a review of the new GS450h by Fifth Gear and what occurred to me was this:

Why would the car be compared to the BMW 535d and other diesels, when BMW make and sell a hybrid in the UK, I believe Audi make a A6 hybrid too?

There were references to the car being £50k and too expensive. I specced a 5 series hybrid (sad I know) to £60k! The Audi I think is a 2 litre so not sure it can compare, although journalists will.

Jason Plato thought the car was good though.

It would be useful to compare like for like for a better comparison, which might make things a little more interesting.

Owners of this model, being objective, did you consider the BMW or other prestige hybrids before buying your GS?

Another Thing I noticed is that they had the Premier version which is the top of the line one and focused towards comfort more than sportiness. I dont understand why they didnt just take the 450h F Sport on the track. Im not sure if the Premier model has the rear wheel steering either!

They were also criticizing the looks of the car. The F Sport looks more aggressive so it doesn't make sense to just focus on the looks of the Premier model.

I saw the 5th Gear report and thought it was a bit unfair towards the Lexus, their complaints about the constant engine whine at 6000RPM as they raced around the track trying to tailslide the car was totally unrepresentative of everyday driving and I felt didn’t do the car justice.

I bought my GS450h Premier as a replacement for my 7 year old Mercedes E320CDI. My partner has a painful back condition that means she feels every road bump with agony, meanwhile I liked the power that the V6 Merc provided. I have never driven a BMW, being put off by the many reports of a firm drive tailored towards sportiness rather than comfort and had never considered a hybrid of any sort. I really wanted a new face lifted E Class but we were very disappointed with the test drive.

The GS450h Premier gives us the best of both worlds, comfort for her (although is she doesn’t find it quite as comfortable
as the Mercedes) and a bit of fun for me.

Did you consider any other hybrid. It seems Merc do one too.

I had a loan hybrid for the weekend many years ago and I was very impressed. I'm just thinking when I change my current car, I might try out all the luxury one's on the market.

I understand the German brands (hybrids) are not really for the UK market. The American's and some other markets don't like diesels.

I think it's based on costs. True the Audi and BMW cost similar to a GS450h, but so does a BMW 535d, and to be honest if you ever drive one, you'll see why people rave about them. For the money nothing comes close, with the right spec. And as far as thats concerned, there are so many things on a Lexus that you probably wouldn't spec if you were paying. They are nice to have...

The Torque from the German twin turbo's is mind blowing. The performance is astonishing. I do agree that the ride can be disappointing, but VDC or Adaptive drive on the BMW is awesome.

Did you consider any other hybrid. It seems Merc do one too.

I had a loan hybrid for the weekend many years ago and I was very impressed. I'm just thinking when I change my current car, I might try out all the luxury one's on the market.

I understand the German brands (hybrids) are not really for the UK market. The American's and some other markets don't like diesels.

The thought of buying a hybrid hadn't entered my head. After seven very happy years with my W211 E320CDI Avantgarde I simply wanted the same spec in the facelifted W212. Sadly the Avangarde spec had been discontinued and the available grades didn't offer comparable refinement, comfort or acceleration that we were used to or required. Looking for suitable alternatives I decided to give the GS a test drive, loved it and bought it.

Has anybody else noticed the Infinity G Hybrid? now been replaced by a slightly smaller model but MASSIVE depreciation, £20,000 loss in 1 year making it a very attractive used car buy with the specification Lexus used to offer and more. Same 3.5 petrol/electric hybrid but way better claimed fuel consumption, faster and lower RFL, the only down side I have spotted is the service costs with 1 at almost a grand oh and every 9,000 miles. not so good if you are high mileage but so much car for your money and no doubt very reliable to boot.

Has anybody else noticed the Infinity G Hybrid? now been replaced by a slightly smaller model but MASSIVE depreciation, £20,000 loss in 1 year making it a very attractive used car buy with the specification Lexus used to offer and more. Same 3.5 petrol/electric hybrid but way better claimed fuel consumption, faster and lower RFL, the only down side I have spotted is the service costs with 1 at almost a grand oh and every 9,000 miles. not so good if you are high mileage but so much car for your money and no doubt very reliable to boot.

Ive driven one, it sucks. No one does hybrid like Lexus. All the other hybrids dont seem right.

Not the G series, but I have driven a 5 Series Hybrid. It's not too bad, just a little jerky from time to time, and I found the engine too eager to cut in. TBH Toyota/Lexus Hybrids I believe are still ahead.

Thanks for your advice,will stick with Lexus when the dreaded time of my old 450h throwing the towel in happens, call me old fashioned but I have never bought a car without a sunroof which so few Lexus cars now have, remember the days when every Lexus in the dealership had a sunroof? May have to go to a LS600 for this but didn't really want a bigger car, hey ho not too bad a decision to make and may be some time off yet but can not extend my warranty again due to age of vehicle so like to have plan B prepared.

Thanks for your advice,will stick with Lexus when the dreaded time of my old 450h throwing the towel in happens, call me old fashioned but I have never bought a car without a sunroof which so few Lexus cars now have, remember the days when every Lexus in the dealership had a sunroof? May have to go to a LS600 for this but didn't really want a bigger car, hey ho not too bad a decision to make and may be some time off yet but can not extend my warranty again due to age of vehicle so like to have plan B prepared.

The NEW GS450h is available with a sunroof. There are a few on their website

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links