Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Wheel Bearings

Hi, I've had my 2005 400h for 2 years now, and have noticed a slight drone from the rear, not really heard at 75 mph, but heard more at about 50 mph, car has done 69k miles, I do mostly short journeys around town, when you don't really hear it too bad, but went on a trip last week, and after about 100 miles, came off motorway and hit a 50 mph limit and noticed the noise. Pulled over and one of the hubs was very slightly warmer than the other, Had al brake pads and parking brake shoes and cables renewed about 7k miles ago, So I'm suspecting a wheel bearing noise, Is it best to renew the hole hub assembly, or just the bearings, as the dealer is looking for over £300 per side, although they are on eBay for around £100 each for the hub assembly, Has anyone bought the cheaper ones, -are the inferior, what's the best make to buy. Many Thanks for any help you can give, cheers Gus.

jack that corner up, parking brake on and front wheels chocked, take the wheel in your hands by the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and see if there's any play. Do the same for 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. There should be no movement. If the bearing has gone you should only need to replace that. And a bearing shouldn't really cost a lot of money - £300 sounds like a ripoff.

Jack that corner up, parking brake on and front wheels chocked, take the wheel in your hands by the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and see if there's any play. Do the same for 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. There should be no movement. If the bearing has gone you should only need to replace that. And a bearing shouldn't really cost a lot of money - £300 sounds like a ripoff.

I would have thought once the vehicle is safely jacked the parking brake needs to be released to be able to feel movement in the bearing, otherwise the brake drum locked on will hold the wheel solid?

I am assuming the 400 has a small rear parking brake drum as my 300 has?

Are you sure that the brakes aren't binding slightly. My own RX400h had a similar problem and it was diagnosed as sticking sliding pins on the rear brake caliper----This would also explain why the hub was warm

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links