Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

V6

A V6 is the shape of a V, a straight six is straight

BEAMS is an acronym which stands for Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism Systems. In the Altezza RS200, the BEAMS engine was built by Toyota, and tuned by Yamaha

Really, you could easily find these answers out yourself using Google.....

I originally googled it before I came on the forum. However I had a Mondeo V6 previously and now I have straight six just wanted to know the differences. It does appear to be smoother though.

Ian, yes they are. But seriously, asking what the difference is between a V6 and a straight-six? Really? That's a google question if ever I heard one, even though it's actually completely self-explanatory

I originally googled it before I came on the forum. However I had a Mondeo V6 previously and now I have straight six just wanted to know the differences. It does appear to be smoother though.

to answer your question AUFC,

a V6 engine is designed with each piston bank and cylinders facing away from each other there by giving a V like shape once viewed from an anlge. as seen below.

post-39192-0-05756700-1395274322_thumb.j

a straight 6 engine is designed with all piston bank and cylinders 'Inline' with each other as seen below.

post-39192-0-36314600-1395274539_thumb.j

this blog gives you an idea about pros and cons of both engine design.

http://blog.iseecars.com/2010/10/07/v6-vs-inline-6-pros-and-cons/

BEAMS engine is a high revving, high compresion ratio, 4 cylinder Toyota performance engine with on the fly valve timing adjustment capabiliies on both the intake and exhaust valves.

• Like 2

so whats it like in comparison to the Mondeo. not just the engine but the car in general? i was looking into getting one when getting my IS. the V6 one. but found the interior cheap feeling and the design quite boring. was looking for a V6 Auto saloon, or 2.0L 4 pot and there were some bargains to be had, but like i said was put off. in fact every alternative i looked at i ended up going back to looking for a IS lol a perfect all rounder

Only had the Lexus a month so far and owned the Mondeo for three years but I much prefer the Lexus. Better quality and more toys. I owned a MK2 Mondeo ST24 2.5 V6 saloon. The saloon is a bit rarer than the hatchback. Great car though I loved it, nice big comfy cruiser and not much went wrong with it. The engine sounds great in the Lexus whereas the Mondeo didn't sound as exciting until higher revs. Mondeo's rust though and are front wheel drive.

Is this correct if you rev a straight six there is not much movement on the car and if you rev a v6 the car should rock from side to side,

Just saying

this is true but more so with a V8 due to the torque

I also owned the Ford Cougar V6 wich is the same engine as the ST24 Mondeo's. nice cruisers those...they not as quiet when idling or as smooth as the IS's but to be honest the drive is very good when cruising on the motorway and once you take it past 4000rpm the secondary valves open in the intake ports and it growls and sounds awesome all the way to 7000rpm. I do miss that ford V6 sound. not sure about the Mondeo's but my Cougar was well spec'd for a 99 model. it had 6 CD changer, full leather , traction control, Aircon, mpg computer which funny enough the gen 1 IS's dont have, outside temperature monitor, with snow and frost detectors which light up amber when temperature is under 5 degrees and red when in the minus degrees to help driver adjust thier driving for road conditions my IS dont have this neither, only thing which went wrong on this motor was alternator.

well some of the V6 auto mondeos i was looking at didnt even have climate control or half leather. Ive noticed it seems ford went backwards with spec after about 2000 with the Mondeo, Focus, Galaxy etc. older Fords like the Scorpio, Cougars, Explorer and maverick were very weill spec'd in comparison. At the time im thinking its something to do with keeping all there makes segregated such as Jaguar, Mazda and Volvo to keep sales strong

A trip is definately lacking in the IS and it puzzles me why because every other Lexus's had one even older models

The temp gauge in the IS clock flashes when it's below a certain temp. If you can read, you really don't need an amber or red dash light to tell you the temp is low. The IS also has an instant MPG gauge on the dash. Granted, that's not a trip computer, but if you're worried about journey MPG, you're in the wrong car...

Didnt say i cared, just said it puzzled me why not the IS when every other model did. MPG gauge and outside temp is adequate for sure. i know how many miles ive got left by looking at the fuel gauge

AUFC, nice looking car. What's the Sport Cross like to live with, granted you've not had it long. I have the saloon and have thought about changing to the Sport Cross. However I want an auto and I think the Sport Cross only came as an auto in the 3 litre version, which is even juicier than the 200. Happy to be corrected.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links