Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Cleaning Oem Exhaust Tips (Pic Heavy)

Hello all,

I have been meaning to clean my exhaust tips for a while now. They were near jet black from years of tar, fumes and general grit stuck on them. The picture below shows the best of the two (I'd already started on the other!):

post-48975-0-92456200-1401032746_thumb.p

So, I set about grabbing some Brillo pads with that pink Mr Muscle stuff, some hot water and a bit of determination!

The grime and tar was so stuck on I actually broke a sweat! The cheek of it I tell you!

Anyway....after only 10 minutes each side the OEM Tips look nearly new! I cannot believe how well they have come up :)

If anyone has got the OEM tips and they've got grime/tar build-up....I would certainly recommend a bit of water and a brillo pad...gently does it though!

Here's some pictures....this was before I also buffed them up:

post-48975-0-22734200-1401033169_thumb.p

post-48975-0-15131200-1401033359_thumb.p

post-48975-0-16022000-1401033526_thumb.p

post-48975-0-27624100-1401033574_thumb.p

post-48975-0-54795400-1401033634_thumb.p

post-48975-0-94195800-1401033831_thumb.p

It's done the job but Brillo will scratch up the surface. All you need to do is wipe them over when cleaning your car. Then use autosol and a cloth to get rid of contaminants and make it nice and shiny.

Unfortunately it wasn't that easy. From now on I will keep them clean, however the grit was solid as was the tar. I had already tried the normal approach when washing the car but nothing was budging it. The Brillo I used was the soft one that has not long since come out which has the Mr Muscle stuff in it. After taking it easy (using a washing up brush at first!) it started to come off.

I used Autosol after cleaning most of the grim off and buffed them up....gladly no scratches :innocent:

Wow!! Looks great. I will do mine this weekend, have been meaning to do this for a while and after looking at your end results I am determined to do mines.

BTW are your rear lights different? you dont have the orange indicator? Looks good

Cheers... Will be worth it.

Yes, the rear lights are different. I swapped them out a few weeks ago with LED Eagle Eyes. There's a few different kinds. Mine are as close to OEM looking with just the clear indicators. They look pretty damn sexy at night with tthe LED lit up ;-)

Cheers... Will be worth it.

Yes, the rear lights are different. I swapped them out a few weeks ago with LED Eagle Eyes. There's a few different kinds. Mine are as close to OEM looking with just the clear indicators. They look pretty damn sexy at night with tthe LED lit up ;-)

G, where did you buy them from if you dont mind.

I have seen a couple on eBay but dont really like them being all clear.

I was lucky and bought them from someone who had ordered them for a project and not used them. Sadly you can't find the OEM looking ones in the UK as far as I can tell.

Saying that though, you can find them on fleabay from the US. Just search for 'Lexus IS250 Eagle Eyes'. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-2007-2008-LEXUS-IS250-IS350-LED-TAIL-LIGHTS-RED-/400332494607?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d35ad170f

The cost looks to be around £180 ish including import duty.

You may have to modify the Fog Light opening to accommodate the bigger fog bulbs over here....that's what was required on the ones I have....unsure on the ones linked to though.

Thanks G,

Looks like plug and play with no modification required.

£180 - what I get for mine on eBay will be worth it!!!

Thank you for the link :)

Hi G,

Wifey gave me some brasso. Is that the same or shall get some Autosol?

She uses brasso on the kettle and other stuff around the home and says it's the same stuff for metal.

Sorry for all the questions matey...thanks

Hahaha...love that your wife is helping you out!

It might not get all tar off...depends on how ground in the dirt is on your tips. Might be worth a try....it'll polish them up if already free from grit etc but not sure if it will clean them though.

LOL!!! I bought some of the Mr Muscle pad with the pink stuff on to get the grit off. Then will buff up with brasso.

Asked wifey if she can do the same on the exhaust as she does on the kettle...she told me to #%*%#~<#%^!\ 😬

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links