Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You should clay before mopping, mopping is another word for polishing and the removal of swirl marks..by claying first you will not damage the heads of your polisher. Any decent detailer will do this first. Also mopping could be used to buff the paintwork to give it a lustre..bring the paint alive by removing some of it depending on the coarseness of the product.

Question: Before using a clay bar should you remove tar spots and other crud first, or can the clay bar deal with them, and will it be okay to use on the bottom door panels of LS (I assume they are not metal panels - but never looked that close)

Claying does remove small tar spots, but you have to apply firm pressure around the spot which could result in swirls or scratching.

What I do is get a little bit of oil, 3 in 1 spray works ok onto the end of a cotton bud, and use that to loosen up the tar spot, tar is oil based so it breaks down with the oil. Wipe the arear with a soft cloth then give the car a wash prior to the clay process.

3 in 1 is very good for cleaning crud off your hands in general, just make sure you have a tap running with some wash liquid ready, oily crap on sink tap handles gets you a slap from the good lady, does in my house anyway.

Just bought my clay bars of a detailing business up my way.... Will clay car when weathers a bit better then apply my new product I've just bought called AIRGLIDE .. This is used on aeroplanes and hulls on boats now available for cars usual price for a 1 application was £99 but got it on sale with interior leather cleaning pack for £68 :) .... Meant to last 5yrs ... So I'm going to have a busy couple of days when weather improves.... I'll do before and during and after pics, not going to rush or cut corners but a proper job, already warned my work I may be taking a week off on short notice :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very smart. Managed just get mine washed today at the local Hand Wash place, great bunch of guys who always do a great job, now she looks as though she has just come out of the showroom. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links