Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Set Up For Front Discs And Pads Is250

I understand this topic will generate lots of differing opinions, but what is generally accepted as the best combination for front discs and pads for the IS250?

Also pads that will cut down on the dreaded dust.

I've just fitted standard lexus discs and pads to my car they seem ok to me , I don't drive excessive speeds that I need super duper brakes.....the calipers working properly to me are more important , I have read that drilled and grooved discs are noisy and wear the pads down quicker.

Allan

Thanks for your input,,,,I just feel that the brakes could be a tad better, that's why I asked about what other 250 owners have done, there are always better options than the OEM in my experience.

And there is the problem with excessive dust to overcome.

I agree that the standard set up can always be bettered ie two or three pot calipers , drilled and grooved discs etc you will have more brake dust if you go this route though, it's horses for courses , depends what you use your car for, is your present braking system working correctly ? The is250 is quite a heavy car so does take some stopping.....good gripping tyres are also part of the braking scenario don't forget. Have you had your brake calipers checked to see that none of the slide pins are seized, this would impair the braking quite significantly .....just a thought,

Allan

• Like 1

I'm trying EBC grooved discs, and haven't noticed any extra noise; however, they seem to be a lot more resistant to wear than the OEM lexus discs. The EBC redstuff pads I've paired with them are quiet, stop well and are a lot less dusty than OEM (but even these produce quite a lot of dust).

My understanding is that lexus use very aggresive pads (because the IS250 has undersized discs). Because these wear discs so quickly, it's not uncommon for OEMs to specify the lowest grade of disc available, on the basis that the wear from these pads is so severe, higher grade discs will still end up getting demolished; so if the discs are sacrificial, they might as well be the cheapest possible.

High-end aftermarket discs are usually made of a very hard grade of iron, so may be more expensive than the OEM discs - whether they are good value is open for debate. My hope is that the ceramic restuff pads are less aggressive than the metal-filled OEM pads, so that I get a lot more use out of these expensive discs. This is yet to be proven, but my initial impression on 4000 miles of urban and country road driving, is that they certainly aren't worse, and are probably a lot better.

• Like 2

Some good points there mark, i've used ebc pads on my motorbikes in the past and have found them quite effective in stopping my two wheel machines.... one thing I've not seen a lot of is stainless steel discs I was wondering why ? anybody know ?..... I've got stainless and drilled discs on my vfr bike they work ok........just fitted oem's on the front and back of the lex so it will be interesting to see how they last.

allan

Lexus do low dust pads for the Is250. They are also a lot smoother in operation than the normal ones (less aggressive compound)

I can't see any brake dust since I had switched to these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I run MTEC drilled and grooved with Redstuff pads... I could stop a freight train... However pretty noisy on braking! No squealing, just pretty annoying fast ticking sound which is the pads hitting the holes and grooves. I wouldn't go this route again in all honesty

• Like 1

Is there any reason why stainless steel is not used for car brake discs ? Cost perhaps ? The discs look terrible once they go rusty.... Anybody use the the black discs I've seen for sale... And do they go rusty? .....

Allan

I got some of the black discs. The black coating comes off the first time you press the brake pedal, leaving a clean metal surface.

Stainless is very expensive, whereas cast iron is dirt cheap and has excellent wear and heat handling properties.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used mtec drilled and grooved in black on my Alfa 159, in all honesty they were noisy but the black coating worked a treat, obviously the paint on the face of the disk wore off near instantly but the advantage being the centre's and the outside edge stayed black which looked a lot better than the usual rust colour associated with unpainted versions. Sold the car after the brakes had been on a year so not sure how long they stay looking good but would definitely purchase again.

I've recently fitted Mintex brand discs and pads from the local motor factors to the front.Half the price of oem Lexus but I'm totally happy with the way the car stops now.

Don't forget if you are running grooved/rusty discs then any replacement is going to give you better braking performance

• 4 months later...

Last service indicated new pads needed next time. car will have covered around 65K.

Will discs need replacing at the same time ???.

Looking at PAGID pads & discs. Would welcome any comments.

In the past used to get 2 sets of pads then the discs, but things have changed since then.

Thanks

Yamavira.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links