Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg - Real World (My Se Can Get 60Mpg At A Push)

I can't get my head around the official Lexus figures, I've had my SE for a fortnight and done 700 miles and based on the car read outs have achieved the following:

Standard driving - 49mpg

Gentle(ish) driving - 54mpg

Super gentle driving - 60mpg

Note: Virtually all of the above has been with A/C on so a little better is possible.

My driving mostly consists of country roads (no traffic lights or roundabouts and little traffic on my commute).

On the Lexus website it shows combined mpg on SE as 65.7 (was this test carried out in Denmark with a tail wind??)

I accept this is probably doable if you never go above 45mph and accelerate very slowly and drive on flat roads but can't imagine anyone has got that sort of economy over any period. Either that or I've got a duff engine!

So, what mpg are you getting (according to the Lexus computer information)?

Hi Steve,

My record in my SE for a 110 mile round trip which I do fairly regularly is 63 mpg, but by the time i've done a few short trips in between it's between 55 and 57 mpg for a tank for me. (per the computer)

Whatcar have had some decent fuel results on their real world mpg, however they start from warm and this makes quite a difference on a single trip. i.e. stopping at a filling station then the remainder of the trip is then high 60's had a 70 for a 30 mile trip on a warm start.

my car has done 8,000 miles and live in flat lincolnshire so that will make a difference.

Peter

My understanding is that the official mpg figures are derived under test conditions rather than real world.

Apparently it's the same for all manufacturers, maybe someone out there knows the details.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

From the last refueling I measured a consumption of REAL 16 km/l (45,5 MPG) with my F-Sport driving it in a "mixed" way: 60% normal , 40% sport+.

Never used ECO mode as I think it works best when driving in huge traffic or when you're in column.

The board computer measurement is way too optimistic, like every hybrid car, since it says I have an average fuel consumption of 18,4 km/l (52,3 MPG).

Anyways, 16 km/l for a car which weights 1700+ kg is an extraordinary result imho (and I can do better).

My other car, a Seat Ibiza SC FR with a 1.2 TSI petrol engine (105 hp) and a weight of 1010 kg, has got an average consumption of 15 km/l!

The posted fuel figures are obtained under controlled test parameters, these are not real world figures ( reckon on roughly 20-30% less) , many people complain they cannot obtain the official figures and it's a bugbear with the manufacturers also, it is an EU test directive purely to give a measured comparison between different vehicles on the same test routine.

I know that quite a few manufacturers are lobbying the EU to enable a different test to reflect a more real world result.

If you getting anywhere near the combined you are doing very well!

The posted fuel figures are obtained under controlled test parameters, these are not real world figures ( reckon on roughly 20-30% less) , many people complain they cannot obtain the official figures and it's a bugbear with the manufacturers also, it is an EU test directive purely to give a measured comparison between different vehicles on the same test routine.

I know that quite a few manufacturers are lobbying the EU to enable a different test to reflect a more real world result.

If you getting anywhere near the combined you are doing very well!

Thanks Boxbrownie, I knew there would be an expert around soon! It's a good idea to have a standardised test so there is a level playing field, but it really ought to be under conditions that deliver more realistic results compared to the real world figures.

All I can say is that my F Sport has pretty much halved my petrol bill from my IS250. And with more power etc etc.

...those controlled tests are in a lab, on a rolling road, not on the road and with expert drivers who know how to get the best out of the drive train....so they are always going to be hard to match in the real world. Also, they follow a strict set of rules - so far in each gear, at certain speeds etc etc, some stationary stuff to try and mimick real world, but there is much less friction etc and so it's never going to be realistic

...those controlled tests are in a lab, on a rolling road, not on the road and with expert drivers who know how to get the best out of the drive train....so they are always going to be hard to match in the real world. Also, they follow a strict set of rules - so far in each gear, at certain speeds etc etc, some stationary stuff to try and mimick real world, but there is much less friction etc and so it's never going to be realistic

And dont forget they put tape around the body panel gaps to make the car more aerodynamic and pump up the tyres to about 40psi

And dont forget they put tape around the body panel gaps to make the car more aerodynamic and pump up the tyres to about 40psi

Do they really? Ridiculous, but if it's within the rules and they all do it what hope does the average purchaser have when trying to make a decision partly based on running costs?

Do they really? Ridiculous, but if it's within the rules and they all do it what hope does the average purchaser have when trying to make a decision partly based on running costs?

Actually no they do not, there is no benefit as the tests are on a rolling road and the tyres MUST be inflated to the maximum allowed for the vehicle fully laden, no more than you or I could or would inflate to.

Tricks like taped shut lines, closed air intakes, high pressure tyres, lightened interior and smoothed undertrays are the domain of the "hyper milers" that participate in fuel mileage marathons etc, not the manufacturers.

There are some really odd rumours that go around regarding the EU tests.....see this page of the DfT site for more info.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

Actually no they do not, there is no benefit as the tests are on a rolling road and the tyres MUST be inflated to the maximum allowed for the vehicle fully laden, no more than you or I could or would inflate to.

Tricks like taped shut lines, closed air intakes, high pressure tyres, lightened interior and smoothed undertrays are the domain of the "hyper milers" that participate in fuel mileage marathons etc, not the manufacturers.

There are some really odd rumours that go around regarding the EU tests.....see this page of the DfT site for more info.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

Thanks Boxbrownie, interesting read.

I have done around 3000 miles in the last 5 weeks and am driving gently (rather than super gently) and rarely do a trip below 50mgp - either inner city or motorway. Quite happy really

F-Sport model that is

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links