Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Not Dipping In Reverse

For the past year I have had this intermittent problem.

When selecting reverse the off side mirror doesn't tilt down properly, just moves fractionally then stops. The near side works fine and dips fully. It can't be the motor as I can adjust it no problem using the switch.

I can only presume it is some setting / software issue.

Anyone else suffering ????

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Have you tried switching the mirror adjustment switch to the "other side"? I assume the system is the same as on my RX350 so that the reverse dipping function only works when the mirror switch is in either left or right position and not (curiously) if it is central (or "Off")

my understanding is the position sensors are variable resistors. The ECU has a set resistance for the 'reverse' position. If the sensor wears or gets dirty the position doesn't correspond to the desired location anymore. This also affects the normal memory position but as it drifts slowly over time the owner doesn't notice and will just set a new memory position every now and then.

It may be possible to clean the sensor with electrical contact cleaner/lubricant, otherwise the mirror assembly would need to be replaced.

It has happened to me... both mirrors within a three months period.

In each case, the whole unit was replaced under warranty (which means that I can't tell you how much it cost - soz).

Hi, I had exactly this issue with my GS450, gradually got worse on both sides but while the car was still under Lexus warranty, I wrongly thought clearing the memory would solve the problem but dealer changed both complete mirrors which came colour coded (hate to think of the price! ) I was sure because the motors worked manually they could be fixed bought no! My Mercedes has photochromic mirrors of which one has gone dark, they want over £300 just for the mirror,not motor or housing! Good luck.

Does anyone know if it possible to get to the sensor to clean it or is it a sealed unit. Been quoted £475 to replace complete wing mirror assy, at that price I can live with the slight problem.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links