Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 400H Looking For Cloth Front Seats

Hi. I have a RX 400H with leather seats. I am looking to replace them with cloth front seats (softer and cooler). Can anyone advise how best to do this? Were they ever available? Has anyone had their seats re- upholsteted. Info appreciated. Many Thanks. David

Almost every Lexus made has had leather with the exception of Alcantara on some models and cloth on some base IS models.

I'd go for a retrim, that way you will get exactly what you want!

Thanks Alex- I thought as much, but in USA, cloth seems to be standard on the basix RX models.

Does any member have experience of having their RX seats recovered in cloth?

No problem David, if it was me I'd have the centres redone in Alcantara will be about the same price as a full cloth retrim but look a load better. Alcantara has the advantages of both cloth and leather

I wouldn't like to say to be honest, I'd call round a few places and get quotes. I doubt it'd be more than what you'd pay for a pair of second hand seats if you could even find a matching pair in good condition!

Where abouts are you?

The base 400h (i.e. non SE or SE-L) didn't have leather, certainly not the earlier ones. Also the same for the RX300. You may be able to pick up a set of seats from a breakers.

Those base models don't have a drivers memory seat so you will give that up unless you spend some time moving everything over.

Personally I'm not sure I would want to re-upholsterer the seats unless you intend to keep the vehicle for some time - you would damage the resale value as the vast majority of buyers would expect/want the leather.

I am looking to replace them with cloth front seats (softer and cooler).

Softer, maybe, but cooler? If anything, leather is too cold except on those rare occasions when we get some sun in this country. :lookaround:

If you have (or plan to have) kids, keep the leather - MUCH easier to keep clean and you would not believe the mess kids make. I've seen the state of cloth seats in a friend's car - should be labelled as a health hazard :D

Would it not be simpler - and cheaper - to get some good quality seat covers?

Given what you seem willing to pay for cloth seats (buying, fitting, loss of value), you may even be able to have some taylor made.

There seem to be plenty of potential suppliers on the 'net, within the UK and outside.

Thanks Daniel- OK- Unless I can locate a black pair of original seats to convert, then I shall indeed find someone to knit me a super pair of fitted cloth seat covers (Harris Tweed maybe). Grateful if anyone knows who can do that.

David, London.

In your situation I think I might investigate the genuine lambswool covers as used by RR and Bentley......far more classy and as you want, softer and cooler than leather exactly why RR & Bentley had them as official accessories.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links