Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Newbie To The Lexus Brand

rst247

Good afternoon everyone :)

My name is Neil and i am looking to get a Lexus Is at the weekend which will be a new experience for me as so far i have only had Fords plus i work for a Ford main dealer so that helps but this time i wanted something different and the Lexus ticked the right boxes so after having a Mondeo 2.2 st tdci for nearly 6 fault free years i think it's time for a change, and this seems like a nice friendly club so i thought i would join

• Like 1

Hi normski2

I was looking at a 220d after having a diesel for the last 6 years even if the Lexus is less powerful and drinks a bit more than my Mondeo but I would consider a petrol as my annual mileage is usually less than 10,000 miles. Another decider will be whether I can get a ipod integration kit or if its possible to put my single din alpine in as well

Under 10,000 miles. Forget the 220d and look at the 250 Auto.

I've had both and the auto 250 is streets ahead IMHO. Don't look at the manual 250....the road tax is 470.

Auto 250 road tax is 270

By the way...if you are hankering for the 220d you should read all the posts here relating to it and the problems that can arise.

Better to go in with your eyes open. Scroll through the pages of the 220/250 section to find the info you want. Be aware that short journeys and low mileage is not good for the 220d. You will have the potential for EGR and DPF issues that can be extremely expensive to resolve. Sorry to be blunt but you need to be aware and tread carefully.

Go here

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/127-lexus-is-250-lexus-is-250c-club-lexus-is-220d-is-200d-club/

Don't go to buy one 'this weekend'...you need to try a few and look around for the one you really want. Do your research before you jump in and purchase.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I will look at the petrol for sure. Although I didn't really want auto but cheaper road tax would sway my decision. Just need to look at fuel consumption over the manual.

Drive both the manual and the auto. If you don't pick the auto I'll eat something large with bricks and tiles!!

The auto box is the smoothest sweetest box I have ever known.

The manual can be a little notchy...much as the old is200 was.

The 220d manual box can be a little 'agricultural'.

My around town mpg is about 27-30

On a run I get 37-39 using cruise control.

I don't think the manual 250 will return that mpg....but the road tax is bit heavy

Just from a few posts I have read I am seriously considering petrol only. I realise this might be a stupid thing to say but the only reason I am not keen on auto is on a previous mondeo I owned the gearbox totally failed (they were prone to it) but I realise that the lexus gearbox would be a better polished product rather than the rubbish Ford used on the mk2 mondeo so I will definitely loom at that. Thank you for all of your advice it has certainly been an eye opener. Now just need to find out about single din stereo and I'm sorted.

Seriously....that auto box is the dogs danglers!!

If you want to experience manual you also have the option of using the gear stick in manual sequential mode or you can use the flappy paddles at the steering wheel. Can be quite fun to play with...try it first on an empty bit of motorway........ so you can get the feel of how it responds.

Welcome :) Also with regards to the Audio, I find the standard stereo better than any standard speakers + head unit upgrade. if you get the Mark L upgrade for the speakers - Apparently its even better. There's an Aux socket in the armrest but it's 3.5mm jack, not USB...

Welcome to the club. What mk IS are you planning on getting? I had 2 IS - one on W plate and the other on a 51 plate and the only problem I had was not driving them enough :)

They are lovely motors and I am sure you will be enjoying the many years of motoring ahead.

Welcome to the club. What mk IS are you planning on getting? I had 2 IS - one on W plate and the other on a 51 plate and the only problem I had was not driving them enough :)

They are lovely motors and I am sure you will be enjoying the many years of motoring ahead.

I am looking at getting a 2006 yr

Hi Neil, welcome to the LOC, Normski has given some good advice about the IS250, I've had my 06 for a couple of months now and i'm enjoying it, pure luxury !!, I had the IS200 before and it was such a good reliable car I kept it for 9 years ! there are a couple of things to check on the mk2 lexus, the main one being the brake calipers, they do seize up if not maintained properly so do check this on any potential purchase ......good Lexus hunting !!!

Allan

I also refused to buy an Auto, they aren't for everyone but I'll admit there have been times I've wished I had an auto. The manual is a little notchy but once you adapt to it you'll have no issues with it, can't beat rev matching down the gears and that sense of achievement that goes with it!

The tax is £485, but if you found a 55 plate it'd be a lot less. As above drive both and see what you think!

Either way welcome to the club!

Thanks for the replies and the info on these cars, i have decided that it will definitely only be a petrol as all of the problems all seem to be with the diesel and it will be good to have a petrol again but i will miss the kick in the back that my mondeo gives me and i have a couple of autos to look at this weekend so i'm hoping that i like the is250 but i'm sure i will

• Like 1

HI and welcome to the club.

I have a IS250 manual and agree with everything already written. The road tax is the main issue, however it is an excellent car and as mentioned although the gearbox can be a little notchy it is certainly not bad compared to other manuals. If you are a keen music lover I would say get a model with the Mark L system because it is absolutely excellent and I have had comments from Merc, BMW and Range Rover drivers to say how good it sounds. As with any Lexus ensure it has a full service history and do a bit of research into servicing costs because even at an independant (of which there are few) it will likely be a good bit more expensive than the Ford was. It is also worth looking at the service intervals because the 60K one is a biggy and it would be ideal if that had already been completed. The fuel figures for the manual are (school run approx 24mpg, round town 28-29mpg and motorway 38mpg). It is also worth bearing in mind that the IS250 seems to like premium petrol and can be a lumpy on the normal stuff. All in all If you take your time you will be able to buy an excellent model and will not regret it because these are great cars and fully deserve the excellent rep.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links