Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Door Mirrors Not Returning Correct Position

Hi all - I'm sure this has been asked b4 - But - after setting my door mirrors (great) then when I reveres they tilt (great) BUT after engine close down and when I return and restart the door mirrors are not in the correct position, I have to adjust them - WHY?

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Well known problem - there was a TSB for this and the mirror was redesigned in 2008.

The mirror position sensor wears out, so the computer can't put the mirror back into the correct position after selecting reverse.

The lexus fix is to replace the mirror. I reckon it could be done by taking apart the motor unit, cleaning it and using a dedicated potentiometer cleaner to clean the position sensors. I've been meaning to do this to mine, but I just turned off the auto-dip function, and haven't got the time or motivation to try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is probably the case of the memory function.

Your mirrors are set on one of the presets and locking/unlocking the car resets your manual adjustments.

Next time you adjust your mirrors to the position you want them to be press 'set' and then press '1' on the door card. That should hopefully fix it.

You can disable this feature too. The procedure is somewhere in the manual.

Nothing to do with the memory function. It's a worn out mirror tilt sensor.

Turning off the auto-dip feature (select middle position on mirror select switch), or replace/repair the mirror.

speaking of mirrors, how can you get them to auto select a stored memory position when you unlock the car? cant seem to work for me.

when i hit a memory position manually from inside it works ok but i want them to find themselves when i unlock the car.

Nothing to do with the memory function. It's a worn out mirror tilt sensor.

Turning off the auto-dip feature (select middle position on mirror select switch), or replace/repair the mirror.

Sure if you insist.

Although he specifically mentions turning the engine off, returning and then finding that the mirrors are not in the correct position...

speaking of mirrors, how can you get them to auto select a stored memory position when you unlock the car? cant seem to work for me.

when i hit a memory position manually from inside it works ok but i want them to find themselves when i unlock the car.

Press and hold the memory position on the door card and then press lock or unlock on the remote. You should hear a beep and it should be good to go.

Hi Robert

Mine had started to do this - I do plan to strip the mirrors down and clean but have not had the time yet to do so. What I have noticed is that, like yours they do "stick" but if you take the positioning of the mirrors to the max they will go (both up/down and left/right) then they will work normally for a while but will return to being "sticky" after a while - this was my basis that they needed a clean inside.

hello hello, i noticed this on mine just now too.

when i go into reverse and back into driving gear the mirror (drivers side only) does move back but it keeps going up until it 'clicks' it does not stop where it should. I need to manually set it again.

can this be fixed with some diy skills?

It's not too difficult to get at the mechanism - it's putting the mirror glass back on that is the hard part. I had to push so hard to get the clips in that I honestly thought I would break the glass.

In fact, the service manual specifically says not to push with your fingers, because the uneven pressure might break the glass - you need to push with the ball of your hand to spread the pressure.

There are some dowels that are quite a pig to get out if you need to open up the motor mechanism, but it's easy enough to clean and grease the studding on the mirror, as they are exposed.

The problem is the sensors are a major problem, and those I've now found out are a sealed unit. I don't know if you can get into it to clean and lubricate it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links