Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What To Look For When Buying...

MK247

Hi there,

I'm going to view a 51 reg IS200 SE (Navigator) tomorrow and wondered if anyone has any tips on what to look for.

I've been told the car's in excellent condition as it only has 13,000 on the clock. Any ideas on how much I should be offering?

BTW, I only found this board yesterday and have been amazed by the amount of info available (and the number of happy Lex owners :D ,persuaded me to get one as well).

Thanks,

MK

Hi and welcome to the club.

I'm sure you will be happy with the IS, most owners have a permament grin on their face. :D

A few things to check when viewing the car:

alloys, look for corrosion. Lexus will replace these under warranty, but its something to check for, if your buying from a dealer, see if they will replace it before you accept the car.

Stereo, take a CD with you, try to load it (follow the guide), if the display shows ERR3, then it will need replacing.

Water Pump, I've heard this can be an issue, so check for blue (i think) fluid marks around the engine bay.

Some people complain of a notchy gearbox, this may not bother you (doesnt me), but if it will, then make sure the change is slick.

Apart from that, I can't think of any other common problems, the engine should give a surge of power at around 4,500 revs.

Good luck with your hunting, and if you give us your location, there may be one or two members that could come along to give you a hand :winky:

The coolant colour is red and easy to spot if the water pump is leaking. Being a 51 the car is still under warranty so you should spend most time checking non-warranty things - fit of body panels, condition of interior and paint work etc.

Put the car on full lock and check the inside edge of the tyres - they are prone to wear there.

Do full lock turns and try and go over speed bumps. Any knocking or loose steering feel may indicate worn ball joints.

Check the version of the sat nav disc. Anything under a 3.x version needs to be replaced which will cost you around £150. If it's a DVD version then do not worry about the version number. Operate the open/close on the sat nav screen a few times and the ribbon cable between the screen and control unit have been known to cause problems.

If it's a DVD version then do not worry about the version number.

Have to disagree slightly here Col :blush:

If its a 51 - it will have come with the first (to the IS) version of the DVD.

A newer version is available - cost me £360.

If you are buying from a dealer - a new CD might be a sweetener to the deal for you ;)

There's nothing too wrong with the old DVD version - It has full UK coverage. Not like the old CDs ones that don't cover all of the UK. The only thing wrong with the first DVD is that is has very limited coverage in Europe.

I was allowed to trial the new DVD for a week before buying, and I was happier with the routing of the new DVD, rather than specific coverage - on routes I knew, it took me the way I expected.

Classic example is leaving home to go anywhere longish distance - I live on the Wirral, and the old version would always try and get me to go through Liverpool, onto the M62 to get to the M6, when from my house, the M53 then M56 is a significantly easier and faster route.

I also have to have the latest versions of stuff like this ( :geek: ) - but I was much happier with the way the new software took me.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. You've certainly pointed out a few things I hadn't considered.

Thanks for the pointer to the blue Lex, but I'm really only looking for a silver or black IS200

I'll be taking my old man along to help look over the car and fingers crossed I should be a Lexus owner soon!

Hi all,

Well I went to look at the car on Monday. It was in immaculate condition and exactly as described, well almost......except it had been mistakenly advertised as being a 'Navigator'. :angry:

Unfortunately, I only found this out after driving 60 miles to see it!

Moral of the story is always double check the details in the advert with the seller before arranging a viewing. :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links