Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300H Questions

apple explicitly restrict the use of Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) to receiving messages, they don't allow the sending. The hardware is capable. iOS 8 is going to allow sending of messages via your Mac however that isn't going to use the same system so don't expect this restriction to be lifted any time soon.

Ideally apple want manufacturers to adopt CarPlay and allow the reply of messages to be done via Siri or allow preset message replies stored on the phone but I don't expect Lexus to upgrade existing Nav systems to support CarPlay.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S3 with android 4.3 and the text msg system works most of the time. It doesn't update the phone if you read it in the car though. I've sent a text from the car too, works well.

Its not all good news DJP. I'm on version E of the software and for me the Bluetooth connection is unstable with the phone frequently ending and resuming connection, the tethering via either WiFi or Bluetooth is also unstable and unreliable, sometimes it works and traffic updates work fine, other times I can get anything other than a Download failed message. Also randomly, the call contacts and history won't transfer. Some of these issues I think at the phone and I need to try another to confirm.

I've left mine on ver D that it came from the factory with. Buggy as hell but you learn to live with it. It's certainly the weakest point of the car. I've an Iphone 5 along with an old 80GB classic ipod and basically have the following

1. Phone can be perfect for days but then for no reason drops off and only switching car on and off returns it.

2. Wifi tethering is quite stable but I have to toggle the Iphone tethering on and off on the Iphone every time i start the car. This is more the Iphone than the car though, but I have a procedure that works

3. 1/2 downloads just do not happen though as Steve says, the download can not be done message bugs the life out of me, but I live with it, I've switched off the shorter updates because of this. It still catches it once in a while which allows the traffic to just about be OK on my commutes.

4. Music on the ipod is mostly fine, manual selection seems to be OK, but the voice system I just cannot work out. It can be there for a few days and then it vanishes (for music selection) and I've yet to work out a pattern as to why. The only other bug seems to be the shuffle option, even when you turn it off the next time I start the car and listen to the ipod it is back on again?

I really hope they do look at the carplay system in the future, but I've no real loyalty to Lexus, I always go for the most car I can get for the least money as a pauper company car driver and while this is by far the best driving car I've had in a while, the toys let it down and I'm sure the others will have caught up in 3 years when I swap again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links