Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recent Purchase - Unwelcome Surprises

Purchased a 2003 GS430 Sport from a dealer, complete with New clean mot.

On the drive home the check engine light came on.

The dealer had already tried to fix this problem before I bought the car by replacing two O2 sensors. This remedy failed. The fault code later was actually not for sensors but for catalyst bank 2.

Also had a safety check by Lexus, as had noticed a worrying Steering wobble at speed. This threw up leaking rear shock, front ball joint, upper control arm, requiring urgent replacement. Cost estimated over 2000 pounds for the lot to be done ( at Lexus). Also steering rack which dealer replaced, has been found to have a split gaiter. Now had the car 5 weeks. The holiday period meant delays to garage appointments etc.

The dealer tells me he has done everything he needed to supply a good car, and clearly he thinks I'm being too pernickety about the poor mechanical condition of my purchase. What do you expect etc? As far as he.s concerned it has a new clean MoT..end of.

What should I do? Am I being too picky? Swallow it and put down to experience, or .....what?

I know I should have had an AA inspection.

Sent from my iPad

The dealer is responsible for faults/defects which were present or can be assumed to have been present during the first 6 months of your ownership. It is for him to prove that they were not.

If necessary speak to C.A.B or consult a solicitor.

You should not swallow it, nor are you being too picky.

Good luck.

Regards

John

Also if you believe the MOT pass certificate should not have been issued you can report this to VOSA who will investigate the matter and take action against the tester, by the sound of it the car should have failed on several suspension issues.

Sorry forget the above there is a 28 day time limit for pass appeals.

As advised previously use the SOGA via your local CAB to obtain redress.

To be honest I would have walked away before purchase if a dealer showed you the car with the check engine light on.

Thanks Steve...actually he tried to rectify the check engine light by fitting new sensors, so when I picked up the car, the check light was off and all was normal. 2 hours later on the way home, the warning came up again

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

There must be buyer protection for this type of situation; that's a lot of money!

Give that car back to them and buy mine ;)

Seriously though I hope you can at least get the dealer to cover the repairs to make the car right.

You will have to fight tooth and nail to recover money from the garage and may have to go to small claims, it will take up a lot of your time and is a frustrating process. In theory the dealer should pay for it but that almost never happens.

If they are flat out refusing to help say you will be taking legal action to recover the funds and see what happens.

Stu

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links