Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Sport, F Sport, Sr ?

Hi all, I'm looking out to buy an IS 250 Sport as my current company car must go and having had an IS 200 Sport 10 years ago I haven't had a better car since, but which model to buy? Joining this forum to start my search to get a good one seemed like a good idea so thanks in advance for any comments you knowledgable folk might have.

Im looking at 2nd generation models of around 2010 2011 and the period Lexus catalogue refers to it as 250 F Sport. However adverts on evil bay and auto trader variously refer to "250 Sport" or "250 F Sport" so are there two models or is it just how people present thier adverts of the same model?? Throwing me a further curved ball I find adverts for "250 SR" which isnt in my Lexus catalogue at all ! This seems to be a cloth interior base model with a body kit but Im not sure if this model has the sport suspension or gear ratio's so any info on this and where the SR sits in the model range would be helpful.

I do know what I really want is the IS F and all its 5 ltr fire breathing V8 but cant afford one of those.

Thanks for any info,

Glynn

if i can remember there was the 250 sport model before the F-Sport model was introduced. the f-sport model does have f-sport logos on the side repeaters and steering wheel. maybe the seats do have f-sport etched on them aswell but someone else might need to confirm this. not sure if Lexus differentiated the suspension tuning between the older sport models and newer f-sport models in terms of setup maybe they did but it might take a pro to tell the difference between the two in terms of handling setup. the SR's do have body kits and larger rims but not sure if they got the sport suspension aswell. i would be surprised if they did as it would negate the point of having a sport model if the SR model had all the sport models specs.

i believe gear ratios was the same for all 250 models so i wouldn't think the sport or f sport had aggressive gearing or LSD's.i have driven the 250 Auto before and its def a step up compared to the IS 200 in terms of performance and handling most say it on par with the IS300 but i recon the 300 edges it a little bit in some situations.

to honest if you wanted some thing with more ommph and get up an go like the IS-F but not an IS-F you could opt for a 2010/11 GS430 or GS460 V8 they are about only a second down from 0-60 mph when compared to IS-F and 155mph is all one needs on the autobhan. these GS's do have active variable suspension setups so they can swith between a comfort drive when not in the mood and firmer ride when in the mood..

From around March/April 2010 the F Sport grade was introduced. This has a 10mm lowered suspension compared to the other grades - I believe the previous sport model just had the same suspension as all the other grades. In Oct 2010 the F Sport received styling changes along with the facelift changes and the manual transmission dropped.

The SR was a special edition which was introduced around May 2008. It is based on the base grade but with the sport body kit, metal scuff plates and metal pedals. It was only available for around six months.

Gear ratios aren't different across any of the IS250s.

John, Colin, thanks for that info its very useful and helps narrow down the search. Looks like I should be after a late 2nd generation F Sport. I think the SR is out.

Steve, Yes would love to but would need my 6 numbers coming up. However I am tempted to buy a 1st generation IS 200 Sport or Sportcross for reasonable money while I save up for a year or two. Now theres a thought. If I could buy back my 1999 car I would, still regret selling that. I can see you have an interesting IS ownership history and wonder which was your favourite?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links