Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Bluesmoke

Tottyman

Very new to the forum , I have a 2006 lexus 220d . 75k miles . Had a major service at 67k . Prior to that a little lexus history . Recently I have noticed bLue smoke intermittent ( happens ad hoc ) when engine is hot .,this doesn't happen on cold start . Obviously burning oil , could this be my valve seats?blocked diewsel jets ? Any advice appreciated thanks

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Blue smoke is normally oil being burnt but a bit unusual on such a low mileage engine, has there ben any warranty work done on it regarding the head gasket issues they tend to suffer from?

Hi gents , many thanks for your replies , Steve. I have been reading the many issues facing this model ( the dreaded diesel ) , I have contacted my local lexus dealer and they say my car hasn't had any recall , ( not aware of gasket issue myself 5th injector ? ) was this a lexus recall ? , must admit my local lexus ( jemca sidcup are pretty much stuck up and a little unhelpful ) I did have a major major service done there (£ 700 ) and they picked up usual discs and pads , caliper etc , rattly heat shield and that was it ( incidentally had my brakes discs , calipers done in Hungary at a Toyota dealer ( 300 all in ) . They didn't do my heat shield as they wanted£120 for putting two bolts in ( Halfords did it when they put new tyres on . Zoran , blocked injector ? I use premium diesel would it still be worth putting an additive in on next fuel up ( millers etc) . Thanks

It will be out of the engine extended warranty period now which was 107,000 miles/7 years whichever comes 1st so recourse through them would be futile ( Star Trek,the Borg always wanted to say that :) )

Worn valve stem oil seals normally give off smoke on a cold startup after the car has been stood sometime.

It may be worth cleaning the EGR valve as these do get clogged up,there is a good DIY video on Youtube.

If you generally only do short trips another idea is to give the car a good long motorway run on a regular basis at higher than normal revs to ensure the DPF gets regenerated fully.

Steve, thanks for the update on the warranty , it doesn't smoke on start up at all ( even when it's cold ) was thinking dpf other day and took it for a good run in 4th gear pulling 2k revs . , I haven't had a dpf warning on my dash . Baffled by it all really , hoping it's just the dpf ( the blue smoke , regenerating itself ) as I say it's intermittent and seems to do it at any time then it goes . oil topped up monthly ( Castrol edge 5w 30 ) . No loss of coolant , power etc. ,

The first thing to try is probably get some BG244 into it and let that work its way through to clean out the fuel system/injectors to see if that helps,one thing to note though is that it probably will smoke a lot more while your running the BG through it as it cleans the system out

My car smoked a bit when i first got it ,only now and again it would do it..it didnt do it when i test drove it or i might have been put off lol !!

I gave it a good service,changed and filter using Mobil ESP,i changed gearbox oil,diff oil, fuel filter,air filter,cleaned out EGR valve and MAF meter and put in a can of BG244 and it cured it but im unsure which of the above it was that stopped it as i did the lot in o one go.

I now only ever use shell vpower diesel and i also use archoil 6200 aditve so everything stays clean (or thats the theory anyway).

When i service the car i always remove the EGR valve to clean it and touch wood its always fairly clean now so something must be right

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links