Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220D Engine Noise

Rob3770

Hi everyone, I'm rob and I joined the forum today and could do with your advice.

I purchased a Lexus IS220d last Friday from a Volvo dealers with 82k on the clock (I think its the SE model) and as a drive its really good if not a little thirsty. However, all is not well and the car makes a noise like a tractor under load, but not all the time. Its loud and doesn't sound right to me. I'm no expert but I'm lead to believe the 220d engine is supposed to be quiet? I did have a problem with a bit of a misfire at about 2000-2300 rpm, well more like a judder but I cleaned the EGR valve and that seems to have gone. Before I go back to the dealer and have a one sided conversation with him could you give me an idea if this engine noise is normal or not. It does sound rather like tappets.

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob and welcome to the LOC.

I'm no expert regarding diesel engines and my Ford Transit is not a good comparison, if you could get the chance to drive another 220d to compare it may help but if the engine in yours sounds like you describe I would be back to the dealer. Remember the car is covered under the Sales of Goods Act so the law is on your side should something not be right.

Hi Rob mines got 87k on clock @ sounds just like normal diesel engine mines not. Noisy like ur describing mine quite. Something is not quite right with ur car did it have any service history to check mileage?????? Mines on 2006 se-l. Take it back @ have it checked hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies... I am going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow and get rid.... The fuel economy is appalling and I cant get anywhere near 40mpg and that's driving at 75 on the motorway, I struggle to see 36/37. .

I would return the vehicle under the sales of goods act. You would be mad not to give the vehicle back, no sure if you are aware about the Head Gasket issue with these vehicle they can pop anytime and since your vehicle registeration is year 2006, this does not cover under the lexus Good will warranty for repairs as its too old. Get yourself a IS250 SE-L auto.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies... I am going to take it back to the dealer tomorrow and get rid.... The fuel economy is appalling and I cant get anywhere near 40mpg and that's driving at 75 on the motorway, I struggle to see 36/37. .

Good decision, as others have said you shouldn't have a problem returning it under SOGA.....that mpg is good for around town, but on the motorway I'm averaging 60-70mpg on my dash, so somethings not right!

• Like 1

Well to b honest to get good mpg u got to drive like.a granddad lol I'm getting 25-26 urban @ nearly. 40 mpg on motorway will b changing to is250 soon maybe in Sept as won't b doing many miles diesel r only good if u doing lots of mileage otherwise u get dpf getting blocked @ quite expensive to sort it out @ Rob get yourself is250 se-l it's got more toys

• Like 1

I'm doing 3500 a months so I wanted comfort, but it was going to cost me £3k a year extra in fuel compared to my Honda Accord diesel... Very disappointed as I always fancied one and its put me right off.... Thanks again for all your advice. :geek:

I'm doing 3500 a months so I wanted comfort, but it was going to cost me £3k a year extra in fuel compared to my Honda Accord diesel... Very disappointed as I always fancied one and its put me right off.... Thanks again for all your advice. :geek:

Obviously its budget dependant, but an is200d like mine might be worth looking at, as it had major engine updates - although its reliabilty hasn't been proven yet as its still quite young, mpg certainly appears to be much better.

Whatever happens, good luck returning your is220d, and please keep us posted.

I came to an agreement with the dealer and its going back on Wednesday. There was no way I was going to get my cash back (I have been here before and regardless of the SOGA, your pretty much stuffed) so I have gone back to a Honda Accord diesel for a while. I just sold mine privately to buy the Lexus and I know they are a good motor... I will take a look at the 200d, and again thanks for the advice.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links