Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Oil Change

lexus22

Checked auto gearbox oil and it's a brown colour rather than the normal red, assume the oil has done it's job and needs to be changed. I read somewhere that flushing the box is not a good idea, just drain and replace what comes out? Is the drain plug easy to get to? If anyone has done this before any tips would be appreciated.

It may be worth noting that there's a huge amount of fluid in the torque converter which doesn't drain out of the trans. Many people change the fluid once then run it to circulate the fluid, then change it again. You're never going to get all the old fluid out but a double change gets more of it.

Yes, that was the plan, is this a diy job?

Yes, you just do the job twice. Just run it for a few miles after the first fill to mix the new with the old, then drain and refill. It's just the difference between having half new fluid and three quarters new.

There's a drain plug on the transmission sump similar to the oil pan, remove the plug and around 2 litres will flow out, refit the plug and replace exactly the amount that came out, repeat as required.

When I did mine I purchased 2 x 5 litres of Toyota Type IV ( £60.00/5 litres or get a friend in the USA to bring you some back at around $20.00!)

Did the drain and refill 5 times and looked cherry red again afterwards.

Between drains run the transmission through all settings to circulate the fluid around all the gearbox.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links